Healthlytalks.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here
It is still possible for rain to seep into even highly waterproof backpacks on a hike or while backpacking if you are caught in a downpour. In the event that water penetrates seams or zippers on your gear, your trip will be ruined. The solution to this problem is to invest in a waterproof backpack cover. Additionally, backpack rain covers prevent mud from splashing into your bag, ensuring that everything is dry and clean once you get home.
This guide will show you the best backpack rain covers along with their main features. Let’s take a quick look at the things to look for when buying a backpack rain cover before we get started.
Below is a quick overview to help you find the Best backpack rain cover fast.
10 Best Backpack Rain Cover
1. Kelty Rain Cover
2. Mountainsmith Rain Cover, Black,
3. Osprey Hi-Visibility Raincover
4. Evotopf Waterproof Backpack Rain Cover with Adjustable
5. OUTAD Waterproof Backpack Rain Cover
6. LAMA 2 Pack Waterproof Rain Cover for Backpack
7. Terra Hiker Backpack Rain Cover, Pack Cover
8. Frelaxy Waterproof Backpack Rain Cover
9. Joy Walker Waterproof Backpack Rain Cover
10. Salzmann 3M Reflective Backpack Cover
1. Kelty Rain Cover
- Item Weight: 4.8 Ounces
- Model Name: Kelty Backpack Raincover
- Brand Name: Kelty
- Country of Origin: Philippines
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 10 x 9 x 2 inches
- Material: Body Fabric: 190T nylon taffeta ripstop
- Warranty Description: Standard
- Color: Charcoal
- Size: Large
You will be able to keep your clothes and sleeping bag safe from the wet conditions with the Kelty Rain Cover for Backpacks which is made of 190T polyester taffeta ripstop material. You can tighten the cover for any backpack size with the drawstring at the back. With its internal loops, you can easily attach it to your shoulder straps to provide extra protection.
The bag fits into its own storage stuff sack, which is attached to the inside of the cover to prevent it from getting lost. In addition to its charcoal color, it comes in two sizes; Medium fits 49-liter bags, and Large fits 49-110 liter bags.
- Nylon 100%
- There is one slip pocket on the interior
- No matter what Mother Nature throws at you, you need to keep your gear dry when backpacking.
- The pack will shed light rain on its own, but when the weather turns foul, you’ll need a Rain Cover.
- Using an internal adjustable pull cord, the cover stays connected to your pack even when the wind kicks up.
- It is important to note that the packaging may indicate that the item is a Regular or a Medium when ordering the Medium Pack Cover.
- If unexpected weather strikes, your pack, and gear inside will be protected by the Kelty Rain Cover. In areas that need reinforcement, the Kelty Pack Cover uses 610D Polyester Cordura in areas that are not treated with 600D Polyester Ripstop.
2. Mountainsmith Rain Cover, Black, Small
- Manufacturer: Mountainsmith
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 16 x 27 inches; 4.16 Ounces
- Department: Unisex-adult
Although one of the best small backpacks on our list, the Mountainsmith Backpack Rain Cover comes in a range of sizes starting at L and going up to XS. There are a number of sizes available, so you should have no problem finding one that fits your needs. A material called 190T taffeta nylon is used in the construction of this model. It’s made of a strong, durable material that allows for rugged use, while also providing peace of mind for the backpack’s owner. Additional protection is provided by taped and sealed seams on the bag.
The hook and loop closure system on this model is another great feature. This feature is actually very easy to use – regardless of whether you’re in a rush or not. On the other hand, the cord attachment points are angled, while the model’s full circumference drawcord ensures a tight fit. The integrated stuff sack ensures that you will not lose this backpack rain cover when you go backcountry hiking – it’s one of those backpack rain covers we like. Additionally, when not in use, this waterproof rain cover can be folded up.
- Pack size 30-40 liters
- A hook and loop closure is used
- Point of attachment for angled cords
- A drawcord around the entire circumference
- Stuff sack integrated into the bag
3. Osprey Hi-Visibility Raincover
- Size: X-Small
- Material: Nylon
- Item Weight: 0.16 Pounds
- Model Name: High Visibility Raincover
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 57.5 x 1 x 20.5 inches
- Color: Electric Lime
- Brand Name: Osprey Packs
The backpack covers we’re looking at here are most commonly available in bright colors. Even experienced trekkers are always at risk of getting lost in the backcountry, so good visibility is very important in an emergency. Taking this into account is what Osprey’s new backpack rain cover is all about. With its bright yellow material, this model not only offers rain protection but also promotes high visibility. With its reflective graphics on the back and blinker light attachment, this rain cover is perfect for cyclists who want extra visibility.
This backpack rain cover is also equipped with a wrap-around cinch attachment, which allows the user to secure it in their backpack. A hip belt and attachments on the harness, however, provide additional protection and reduce leakage potential. The backpack rain cover folds down to the size of a tennis ball once the heavy rain stops and the sun comes out. This little package can easily be stored away and used again when heavy rain threatens to soak you.
- The purpose of reflective graphics is to protect you in adverse conditions or in the dark
- Whenever the raincover is not in use, it folds up into its own case for storage
- It helps secure the raincover to the pack with the cinch attachment
- Fits packs from 10 to 20 liters / 1220 cubic inches.
- Blinker light attachments provide high visibility in the dark for quick attachment
4. Evotopf Waterproof Backpack Rain Cover with Adjustable Anti Slip Buckle Strap & Sliver Coating Reinforced Inner Layer for Camping, Hiking, Traveling, Hunting, Biking and More, 15-80L
- Item Package Dimensions L x W x H: 4.7 x 4 x 1.1 inches
- Brand Name: Evotopf
- Manufacturer: Gryps
- Package Weight: 0.07 Kilograms
- Color: Green
- Size: 15 – 25L
In addition to protecting you from the rain, the Evotopf backpack rain cover provides other benefits as well. The sturdy design withstands the sun, sand, hail, and any other elements that may come its way. You can leave it exposed to the elements without worrying about durability, since it is waterproof, UV resistant, and tear resistant.
A buckle strap is attached at the top of the cover that attaches to the arm loops and secures it to your pack, in addition to the elastic rim. It’s conveniently out of the way, so when you’ve clipped it together it won’t push or rub uncomfortably against your shoulders or back. Furthermore, this cover comes with a convenient carrying case with a carabiner to easily attach to your pack. You can also store it inside if you have the space.
- Simple to Use and Pack: This backpack cover can be easily put on and taken off. In addition, each backpack cover comes with a carrying bag with a carabiner. When folded into the bag, the rain cover is compact, lightweight, and takes up very little space.
- Backpack cover has buckle straps and an elastic rim to prevent it from slipping off. In strong winds or when your backpack cover is pushed off by shoulder straps, the convenient buckle straps at the top help tighten and prevent the backpack cover from slipping off.
- A heavy-duty, waterproof 190T polyester fabric is lined with silver coating, making it waterproof, UV-resistant, tear-resistant, and able to shield your backpack from the elements of forces such as rain, wind, sandstorms, and sunlight.
- Keep all your gear, laptop, books, and travel accessories dry while hiking, camping, hunting, traveling, cycling, and commuting.
- Using our buckle strap for securing the cover to the backpack is very comfortable. The buckle strap won’t dig into your back, so you don’t have to worry about it digging into your back.
5. OUTAD Waterproof Backpack Rain Cover
- Package Dimensions: 8.4 x 5 x 2 inches
- Item Weight: 3.19 ounces
- Manufacturer: OUTAD
Since backpack rain covers are designed to keep your gear dry, they must also be very durable. When they’re in use, they need to be able to withstand some pulls and tugs. By using polyester oxford fabric with rip-resistant properties, the model we’re about to examine here, Waterproof Rain Cover by OUTAD, manages to do this.
The bottom section of this model is also reinforced. No matter where you go, you won’t have to worry about putting it down on the ground when you’re trekking in damp conditions. In addition to keeping your hiking essentials clean and dry, the waterproof backpack will also keep dirt and mud out.
- A double-sided design prevents soak-through and tears on the bottom of the rain cover.
- The elastic design provides adjustability and three size options (15-35L, 35-55L, or 55-88L). Suitable for school backpacks and laptop backpacks as well.
- The polyester oxford fabric is extremely durable.
- Ensures that rain won’t get into your backpack with superior waterproof protection.
- An included drawstring bag makes this product compact and portable.
6. LAMA 2 Pack Waterproof Rain Cover for Backpack, Reflective Rucksack Rain Cover for Anti-dust/Anti-Theft/Bicycling/Hiking/Camping/Traveling/Outdoor Activities
- Package Weight: 0.08 Kilograms
- Item Package Dimensions L x W x H: 10.87 x 7.44 x 0.63 inches
- Model Name: LM010
- Warranty Description: 1 year warranty
- Color: 1 Pcs Black + 1 Pcs Blue
- Brand Name: LAMA
The name of this product should clue you in to one of its pros: it comes in a two-pack. You might wonder why that is better. The reason is that it’s a 2 pack…and it costs the same as any other item in this review. It might seem inferior because it’s so cheap, and you’d be partially right. Despite the fact that it doesn’t have dual buckles (but does have one across the middle), and it doesn’t have triple layers for protection (though it does have two layers), it will still work during a rainstorm. For what most of you need a backpack cover for, it will do the job. I wouldn’t take it with me into a hurricane by any means.
Although I am not personally interested in using the reflective strip on the back, it is a nice touch. There isn’t much else that makes the cover stand out except maybe its price, so if you need a water-resistant cover that’s cheap, you won’t find anything in this price range.
- Pack a rain cover for your backpack to keep water out. A hydraulic pressure rate of 2000mpa can be applied to it. Strap around middle of bag is excellent feature for securing in wind, and one storage bag makes carrying easy
- Double-layer rain cover: The exterior layer is made of scratch-resistant nylon to avoid dirt and scratches. Rain and snow cannot penetrate the inner layer due to the waterproof coating
- It will prevent the cover from falling off your backpack by adjusting the buckle to fit your backpack
- You can easily fold it so that you can put it in the side bag of your backpack for easy storage
- A reasonable price can be found on the 2 pack. This is the perfect bag for outdoor travel, riding, climbing, hiking, and so on
7. Terra Hiker Backpack Rain Cover, Pack Cover, Backpack Waterproof Cover for Hiking, Camping, Climbing, Cycling
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 8.26 x 3.93 x 1.57 inches
- Color: Blue for 15-40 L
- Package Weight: 0.09 Kilograms
- Brand Name: Terra Hiker
While very protective, complicated closure systems also have a downside – they take a long time to secure, which results in soaked hiking gear. The long drawstring closure of Terra Hiker’s new backpack rain cover is both simple and highly functional. The bag can be secured easily and quickly with it. With this waterproof backpack rain cover, one can effortlessly protect belongings both from heavy rain and light showers. By combining a fully seam-sealed design and PU coating, it accomplishes this. In the case of rough surfaces, this water-repellent cover has been reinforced at the bottom in order to prevent damage to belongings.
There are three colors available for the Terra Hiker Rain Cover: bright blue, black, and a camouflage variant. Whatever size you choose, the Terra Hiker Rain Cover includes a handy carry bag for easy storage and transportation.
- Fully seam-taped construction prevents moisture from seeping through to the bag’s interior; the backpack rain cover comes with PU coating on the surface to provide a reliable layer of protection against rain up to 3000 mm;
- The drawstring closure helps keep the cover in place on your backpack without falling off
- A backpack rain cover is easy to pack and use; it can be conveniently pulled out to cover your backpack when it rains
- You can choose from 3 different sizes and a variety of colors for this ultra light cover.
- Its lightweight design is scratch-resistant, the bottom is reinforced to prevent damage when placed repeatedly on rough surfaces, and it has neat and sturdy stitching details to make it more durable.
8. Frelaxy Waterproof Backpack Rain Cover, Upgraded Triple Waterproofing, Antislip Cross Buckle Strap, Ultralight Compact Portable, for Hiking, Camping, Biking, Outdoor, Traveling
- Manufacturer: Frelaxy
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer: No
- Package Dimensions: 7.6 x 4.33 x 2.48 inches; 4.16 Ounces
It’s impossible to find any complaint with the Frelaxy backpack cover since it includes all of its predecessor’s best features. Dual buckles ensure the cover stays attached during rough weather, as well as hugging your backpack tightly to ensure maximum protection. All of the water will roll right off your gear because of the three layers of protection, giving you the feeling of a large umbrella hugging your gear.
In the end, though, it’s the customer service that I love the most. Have you got a faulty product? A new one will be shipped to you for free until you’re completely satisfied. Have you accidentally ordered the wrong size? Free of charge, they’ll send you the right size. Are you just not satisfied with the product as a whole? You are guaranteed a 100% refund. There’s no way to go wrong, even if you don’t like it or the size isn’t right.
- If the size does not match, you can exchange it FOR FREE, and you will receive a 24-month warranty and lifetime customer service.
- WEIGHTLESS: Weighing just 2.2~3.6 ounces (Size: S-XXL), Each backpack cover comes with a RAINPROOF STORAGE POUCH on the inside, so you won’t be completely unprepared for the sudden rain.
- Made of 190T nylon, this backpack is WEAR-RESISTANT and DURABLE, preventing scratches, dirt, and sand from damaging it. Suitable for backpacks 15-90 liters. Please refer to the size chart in the 6th picture.
- 3 Layer Waterproof Technology: 100% WATERPROOF – Nylon fabric with a tear-resistant finish is a waterproof material, while the inner layer cover has a PU coating that offers reliable rain resistance of up to 5000 mm. Perfect for rainy activities, 100% money back guarantee.
- PROTECTION ALL-AROUND: Universal Elastic and Cross Adjustable Buckle Straps provide extra stability and 50% more coverage, so your backpack will get completely covered, even in heavy winds.
9. Joy Walker Waterproof Backpack Rain Cover for (15-90L), Upgraded Anti-Slip Cross Buckle Straps, Triple Strengthened Layers for Hiking Camping Traveling
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer: No
- Product Dimensions: 10.6 x 0.78 x 6.2 inches; 3.52 Ounces
- Manufacturer: Joy Walker
In contrast to Joy Walker’s backpack cover, which has two buckles, each of these had only one buckle. With both strapped around your backpack, it’s impossible to move! Especially useful if you plan to visit an area with high winds, or if you have lost your backpack cover in the past.
In order to prevent anything from passing through, the material is triple layered. As well as being abrasion and rip-resistant, the inner layers are waterproof for added weather protection. Just as with the previous two products, it comes with its own carrying pouch, making it easy to store in and outside the pack.
- If your backpack rain cover does not fit, you will get a FREE exchange without returning it, and if your backpack rain cover is ripped, a FULL refund will be given.
- Triple construction: External fabric is rip-resistant, protecting backpacks from scratches, dirt, sand, and internal fabric is double waterproof coated layers, keeping off water, rain, fog, and snow.
- Each backpack rain cover comes with a pouch that is easy to store and does not take up much space
- Our backpack cover is made of 900D mixed material that is wear-resistant and durable, and it can support water pressure of 8000 mm.
- This backpack rain cover has an improved buckle strap that keeps it in place and prevents it from slipping off. The dimensions for a 15-25L backpack are: Length (9.8-12.9″), Width (5.9-7.8″), and Height (13.7-17.7).
10. Salzmann 3M Reflective Backpack Cover | High Visibility, Waterproof & Weatherproof | Ideal for Cycling, Running, Hiking & More
- Brand Name: Salzmann
- Color: Green
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 9 x 6.5 x 1.5 inches
- Material: Polyester
- Model Name: 40002
Salzmann 3M reflective backpack covers are made with 3M Scotchlite reflective material, which reflects bright colors up to 200 meters away. With an elasticated strap, it can easily be attached to any backpack up to 50 liters while completely protecting its contents.
The exterior mesh pocket can also be used to store small items like keys or sunglass frames. Historically, rain gear was worn only to keep you dry. Now, it also serves as a safety device.
- The backpack cover is completely waterproof & weatherproof (waterproof rating: 15,000 mm), keeping your backpack dry and clean.
- A padded backpack with elastic edges, 2 adjustable straps, and a magnetic closure.
- A standard sized bag can fit in this pouch. It is suitable for backpacks up to 36L.
- 550cd/lux reflective rate using 3M Scotchlite reflective material. Visibility is high at night and in low light conditions up to 200 meters away.
- Cycle, hike, walk, camp & more with this excellent product.
How to choose the best backpack rain cover?
Here are some things to look for when buying a backpack rain cover. Choosing a backpack cover should take into account the following factors.
A backpack cover that can withstand torrential downpours might seem like a no-brainer, but it is something that shouldn’t be overlooked. All backpack covers are not created equal in terms of water resistance and water repellence. Depending on where you live, some will keep your belongings dry in the worst rain storms, while others will struggle to keep them dry in a light drizzle.
Also, make sure you know the difference between water resistance and water repellence, since they have different meanings, but are often used interchangeably. There’s a limit to how long you’ll stay dry in water-resistant clothing – it’s designed more for light showers than heavy downpours. Despite being better than nothing, you should still try to get out of the rain as soon as possible, rather than trust the material.
In a monsoon, your gear should stay dry with the best backpack rain covers because they are water repellent. If you have a backpack cover like this, your belongings should almost never get wet since they are usually coated with a substance that helps block out water. Most people prefer this type of material, but you can get by with nothing more than a water-resistant cover unless you’re spending time in a notoriously wet area.
It is not the backpack cover’s ability to keep out intruders that I mean by security. It must stay firmly on your backpack no matter what the weather throws at it. The elastic rim on most backpack covers ensures that it stays in place snugly around your backpack. Elastic, however, can come off, especially when jostled and rubbed against your body.
It is much better to use straps and buckles, especially when they are combined with elastic rims. There is almost nothing that could remove the cover from your pack with these attachments. The buckles on some products can sometimes touch and press against your body, making a hike more uncomfortable if the product digs into your back as you walk.
It’s obvious that you won’t be using your backpack cover all the time, so you’ll need a place to put it when it’s not in use. Finding something that packs down into a small size is more important than being able to remove it and put it on easily. Each square inch counts in your backpack, since space is limited.
There are some models that come with their own carrying cases to make storage easier. You can attach a carabiner to these cases if you want, so you can clip them to the outside of your pack if you like. So, you can easily access it when you need it, and it won’t take up any room on the inside. This is the best method for managing the slightly bulky rain cover on a backpack.
4. Adequate Protection Against The Weather
The importance of this cannot be overstated. Ideally, you should choose a tightly woven cover with a good waterproof rating. Ripstop nylon or polyester are both excellent choices.
It is even possible to find covers that offer UV protection. Ideally, rain covers should be made of one piece of material in order to avoid seams, which are more susceptible to water leakage. If you have a larger pack, this may not always be possible, so ensure any seams are well sealed.
5. A Good Fit
During your hike, you need to ensure that your backpack cover stays in place. The weather can be bad not just because of rain, but also because of wind!
If your pack is not well covered with your cover, it won’t matter how waterproof it is. Make sure your rain cover is tightly attached. Depending on the model, some will have a drawstring while others may feature elasticized rims that pull in tight against the pack like a shower cap. If you are wearing a cover, buckle straps are ideal for securing it – just make sure that they are comfortable and won’t dig in when you walk.
A waterproof backpack cover should be built to last, so choose one with a fabric that will not easily tear from rough terrain, tree branches, etc.
7. Easy To Store
In view of the fact that you won’t be using your rain cover every day (hopefully! ), make sure it is compact and lightweight. There are some great backpack rain covers with storage pouches.
Others are separate and need to be stuffed back inside the cover – some are actually attached. Carabiner clips make attaching the pouch to your backpack much easier, so it’s a real bonus if the pouch comes with one.
Frequently Asked Questions Related to the best backpack rain cover
Can you use a waterproof backpack instead?
The difference between a waterproof backpack and one that is water repellent (or water-resistant) is considerable. The first disadvantage of a waterproof backpack is that it usually uses heavier materials to seal properly, which means more weight on your back when hiking. As a result, it will also have fewer features as seams, zippers, and attached loops are potential entry points for water.
Thus, they severely limit the openings in a backpack in order to make it as waterproof as possible.
The majority of hikers prefer backpacks that repel water, not those that are waterproof. If it’s seriously raining, you can still have all your favorite backpack features by simply adding a great waterproof backpack cover. If you are getting a light rain or just a mist, a water repellent backpack is just fine without a cover, as the water will roll right off. You can then pull your waterproof backpack cover out if it starts to rain.
Additionally, fully waterproof backpacks do not breathe thanks to their fabric. As a result, water will be kept out, but moisture will also be retained. Packs without breath can turn damp clothing or gear into a stinky sauna all day if filled with damp clothes or gear. It’s a pretty gross situation, to be honest!
Do I need a backpack rain cover if I wear a rain poncho?
A good quality rain poncho will protect your backpack and backpack cover in most rainy conditions. In the event of a severe rainstorm, it might be a good idea to double up just to make sure everything stays dry! Here are our recommendations for the best rain ponchos for hiking.
Should I use a pack liner with a backpack rain cover?
Despite the fact that pack liners aren’t necessary when using a backpack rain cover, it’s always a good idea to be prepared in case the cover doesn’t work. It is a good idea to protect your gear with a pack liner or dry bags. An extra layer of protection can be provided by packing your gear in heavy zip lock bags.
In addition, I usually organize my gear in dry bags or zip-lock bags anyway. I find it much easier to locate what I need when I set up a bag for first aid supplies, a bag for food, etc.
Can you waterproof a backpack?
The answer is yes, you can waterproof a backpack. It’s not always that easy depending on how your pack is designed. Detailed instructions on how to waterproof a backpack are provided in this article. You should, however, keep in mind that treating your backpack’s fabric reduces its breathability.
What size backpack rain cover do you need?
Depending on the size of your backpack as well as how much extra gear you carry outside, the size of your backpack rain cover will vary. The same as your backpack, covers are rated in liters. It’s easy… just match the liter size if you don’t have extra gear attached to the outside.
It is a good idea to go up one size when carrying gear such as shoes and water bottles outside your pack. To get the appropriate length, you might have to go up 2 sizes if you also tie on sleeping bags.
Don’t be afraid to order 2 sizes and see which fits the best. The one you don’t need can always be returned. It wouldn’t hurt to have an extra backpack cover in your gear stash since backpack covers are fairly inexpensive.
Should you buy the same brand of rain cover as the brand of your backpack?
If you are only considering fit, then using the rain cover designed to match your backpack will likely give you the best fit. However, many backpack rain covers offer additional protection and you may find some of the top brands like Osprey Ultralight or Gregory Pro provide them.
How to Take Care of a Backpack Rain Cover
It will last you a long time if you get a waterproof backpack cover. It is still important to keep in mind some things when it comes to care and maintenance. The most important thing is to air dry your cover once you get home or to your dry camp. Having a waterproof storage bag filled with mildew is the last thing you want.
If your cover is ripped, you should also check it. Close it up again using gear repair tape like Gear Aid Tenacious Repair Tape. The seams of your gear should be resealed every 2-3 years with a good quality seam sealer like Gear Aid’s Seam Sealer.
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for a rainproof bag! Outdoor enthusiasts should always have a backpack rain cover in their kit. It should not be too difficult to choose one after reading these tips.
Here is a guide to the best waterproof backpack covers to help you choose the right one for your next adventure. It will last you a long time to have a waterproof backpack cover. However, there are still some things to keep in mind when caring for and maintaining them. The most important thing to remember is to air dry your cover when you get home or to your dry camp. In that waterproof storage bag, the last thing you want is mildew to grow.
“Kelty Rain Cover” is our best overall product which contain feature like lightweight, durable and easy to stow, etc. also, “Mountainsmith Rain Cover, Black, Small” is the best budget product that contains features like hook and loop closure, integrated stuff sack, Angled cord attachment point, etc. No matter the weather, it’s good to know that your gear will always stay dry.