Healthlytalks.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here
The process of buying a fishing kayak can be challenging. The same is true when it comes to buying an ocean kayak. Putting both together puts you in a pretty tight spot. It’s okay to be worried, however. You will find the best ocean fishing kayak on the market in this article.
The beauty of nature can be enjoyed up close as well as you can benefit from some nutritional benefits when you go kayak fishing. It is possible to reach areas that are not accessible to other vessels with a kayak.
The best fishing kayaks have certain design elements that allow them to handle higher winds and rougher waters in a more controlled manner. With the help of this guide, you’ll be able to decide which kayak is the right choice for you.
8 Best Ocean Fishing Kayak
1. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler One-Person Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak
2. Hobie 2020 Mirage Outback (Papaya Orange)
3. Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem
4. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
5. Wilderness Systems PUNGO 120
6. Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Tandem
7. Ocean Kayak Caper Angler One-Person Sit-On-Top
8. BKC PK11 Angler 10.5-Foot Sit On Top Solo
1. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler One-Person Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak, Brown Camo, 13 Feet 4 Inches
- Brand: Ocean Kayak
- Seating Capacity: 1
- Material: Single Layer Polyethylene
- Color: Brown Camo
- Item Weight: 56 Pounds
In terms of storage and performance, the Prowler 13 kayak is a simple one with a stripped-back design. This boat has a long waterline and a narrow hull, which enhance its performance, especially in rougher waters. A great combination of tracking and top speed makes this vehicle an impressive choice. One person can carry it easily since it weighs 56 pounds. It is relatively light for its size as well. However, it has a weight capacity of 325 pounds. Comfort seat plus is equipped with an adjustable backrest and can easily be removed for replacement.
It has a large tank well system in the stern, which makes it possible to keep bulky gear dry. It is possible to seal valuables in the bow-mounted waterproof hatch if you are packing valuables. Furthermore, this hatch also provides access to internal fishing rod storage at the bow and stern of the kayak, so you can safely store fishing rods inside. Lastly, the Prowler 13 offers a bungee storage option on-deck that is the cherry on top of the storage options.
As a final feature, the hull features transducer mountings where a fish finder and two rod holders can be mounted. Additionally, there is no option to attach additional rod holders or gear rails.
- Paddle all day with the Comfort Plus seat, with four-way adjustment to fit any body type.
- Features two cup holders and two paddle keeps; measures 13 feet 4 inches and weighs 56 pounds; holds 325 pounds. The hull is covered by a lifetime warranty.
- Designed for calm or rough waters, Ocean Kayak’s performance hull is fast, stable, and quiet.
- With its large, easy-to-open Click Seal front hatch, the Prowler 13 Angler offers easy access to bow-to-stern storage and accommodates multiple rods for safe storage.
- It has an oversized tank well at the rear to accommodate coolers, crates, tackle boxes, bait wells, and SCUBA tanks.
2. Hobie 2020 Mirage Outback (Papaya Orange)
- Brand Name: Hobie
- Color: Papaya Orange
- Item Weight: 103 Pounds
- Material: Polyethylene
With multiple excellent features, the Hobie Mirage Outback offshore fishing kayak is an amazing value for the price. The Vantage CT-W seat provides top-quality lumbar support when you’re paddling around or fishing, regardless of your preferred sitting position.
In addition, its hull is constructed using highly durable materials so that it can withstand saltwater conditions and ensure longevity. As a result of the patented MirageDrive paddle driven system, it is even more suitable for ocean fishing. By paddling rather than rowing, anglers can control the craft while keeping their hands free.
In addition, it comes with a retractable rudder that facilitates tracking and allows you to paddle your kayak no matter what the water conditions are. The rod holders are also equipped with four rods, which is very convenient for most anglers. As well as a multitude of storage options, it allows you to bring everything you need. Besides cupholders of various sizes, extra cargo hatches, and long-running shelves, there are also smaller accessories.
As a heavy object weighing 85 pounds, it isn’t easily transportable. Though it can carry 425 pounds, which is a higher average, it does have the capability to do so. Saltwater fishing kayaks don’t come with bells and whistles, but they do what they’re supposed to do pretty well. Saltwater fishing kayaks don’t come with bells and whistles, but they do what they’re supposed to do pretty well.
- A multi-adjustable Vantage CTW chair is included
- The ability to be Lowrance-Ready
- It comes with a Mirage Drive 180 Turbo motor
- A kickup rudder system makes shallow water navigation easier
- Storage pockets on H-Track, shields at the transducers, dual steering handles, and 4 steering wheels are included.
3. Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak
- Material: Plastic
- Color: Yellow
- Brand: Ocean Kayak
- Item Weight: 57 Pounds
- Weight Limit: 375 Pounds
- Seating Capacity: 2
This fantastic tandem fishing kayak, the Ocean Malibu, is next on our list. It can accommodate you, your fishing partner, and plenty of gear, with a maximum capacity of 425 pounds. In spite of its 12-foot length, the vessel is very stable and has a comfortable center of gravity, which minimizes the chances of going overboard. Additionally, a skid plate protects against rocks and makes it durable.
A pair of comfortable seats with ComfortPlus padding are located in the hull and feature four-way adjustable back rests to ensure your comfort as you fish. Even a child can ride in the center seat since it has a smaller size.
You can also keep your feet supported when paddling to catch up with a fleeting pretty with footwell braces. Furthermore, the kayak weighs 57 pounds and has molded handles for ease of transportation. It is also impressive to note that the Ocean Malibu’s hull comes with a lifetime warranty, which demonstrates the quality of construction.
- It offers three seating positions, so you can paddle solo, tandem, or tandem with a child or pet and enjoy the sun and surf together.
- Capable of holding 425 pounds; measures 12 feet long by 34 inches wide. The hull is covered by a lifetime warranty.
- A pair of molded-in handles and a skid plate provide easy access to the open, sit-on-top hull.
- Featuring overlapping foot wells, center-seated paddlers are able to comfortably brace their feet and sit comfortably.
- Four-way adjustable Comfort Plus seats offer better slip prevention than molded seats and a custom fit.
4. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
- Material: Plastic
- Color: Tan
- Brand: Lifetime
- Style: Tamarack Angler
- Item Weight: 54 Pounds
Finally, if you are looking for a fishing kayak that will not disappoint, then check out the Tamarack Angler from Lifetime. With a high density polyethylene construction, this kayak is highly durable and can withstand quite a bit of abuse. In addition, there is a full UV protection layer so that it can be used outside when exposed to the sun.
Featuring two flush-mounted fishing rod holders as well as a top mounted rod holder, two six-inch storage compartments, and bungee webbing on both the bow and stern of the boat, there is no shortage of fishing-friendly features on board this boat. Anglers of all sizes can use the multiple footrests, and the front and rear T-handles make storage and transport much easier.
- Polyethylene high-density material with UV protection. A flat bottom that is stable. Hull tracking channels that are deep. The stability of Chinese rails
- Kayak dimensions: 120 inches. Dimensions: L x 31 inches. W x 14 in. 275 lbs. weight capacity.
- A paddle keeper with shock cord in the center and two 6″ storage compartments in the rear. Webbing handles at the front and rear for easy transport.
- A flush mounted fishing rod holder and a surface mounted fishing rod holder. A top-mount fishing rod holder
- There are multiple footrest positions to accommodate riders of different sizes. The seat back and seat pad can be adjusted for maximum comfort. Straps for front and rear shock cords
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE) construction provides durability. Warranty period of 5 years
5. Wilderness Systems PUNGO 120 | Sit Inside Recreational Kayak | Features Phase 3 Air Pro Comfort Seating | 12′ 2″
- Material: Polyethylene
- Item Weight: 49 Pounds
- Brand: Wilderness Systems
- Color: Galaxy
Sit-inside kayaks are an excellent choice for those who enjoy open waters all year round or go on multiple fishing trips every month. This best ocean fishing kayak is the Pungo 120 angler from Wilderness Systems. It is an all-rounder kayak that is a sit-inside kayak that can be used for both fishing and camping. This 12 foot sit-inside kayak has been upgraded from the Pungo 120 to give anglers extra fishing features. When fishing in cold conditions, its sit-inside design keeps you safe from getting wet inside the cockpit, since it will keep you from getting wet.
Multi-chined V-shaped hulls are designed for ocean performance, as they provide strong secondary stability. Fishing can be done comfortably for hours on end thanks to the ergonomically designed seat. Phase 3 AirPro technology is used on the back of the seat, and SlideLock technology is used for the foot brace system.
There are good mounting facilities for accessories on the kayak. The fish finder and other relevant accessories can be mounted easily. Besides the fishing rod holder, there is a mount for a fishing rod as well. In terms of storage capacity for long fishing trips, this kayak scores very decently with a dry storage hatch at the stern and bungee rigging on the deck.
Another feature of the Pungo 120 Angler is its console, which can be used to store smaller items. To ensure maximum comfort, the knees and thighs have padding to provide maximum comfort when staying on the water for an extended period of time. You may find this craft a bit lighter at 51 pounds, making it easier to transport since it has carrying handles at the bow and stern. On open waters, the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 angler measures 12 feet in length, which is not too small to significantly reduce speed, but small enough to enhance stability and Adaptability.
- Pungo kayaks have the fastest speeds in their class, making them the easiest to paddle and most efficient kayaks available
- Stability without sacrificing performance is provided by the renowned hull
- For small to medium-sized paddlers, this sit-inside Recreation kayak is a best seller
- Pungo dashboards feature a removable Drybox, 2 cupholders, Slidetrax for accessories, and a recess for a Wilderness Systems battery for charging electronics while in the wild
- With the rear Orbit hatch and sealed bulkhead, you will have ample storage space for your gear
- 12′ 2″ boat length
- Keeping your lower back cool and comfortable is easy with the Phase 3 air Pro seat, which is fully adjustable and offers ergonomic support.
- The boat weighs 49 pounds.
- The adjustable foot rests and thigh pads provide a more comfortable fit for paddlers of different sizes
- 325 lbs is the maximum weight capacity.
6. Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Tandem Angler Kayak – 2022 Orange Camo, 13ft 4in
- Material: Polyethylene
- Color: Orange Camo
- Brand: Ocean Kayak
- Seating Capacity: 2
- Item Weight: 68 Pounds
Taking the top spot in our list is this excellent tandem fishing kayak, the Ocean Malibu. With a 425-pound capacity, it can easily accommodate a fishing partner as well as plenty of equipment. Family members can enjoy a fun day on the water together with the smaller center seat, which can seat a child.
A simple plastic is used to fabricate Ocean Kayak Malibu Two, instead of any special material. In spite of this, no compromises were made on the product’s quality. Plastic can also withstand a great deal of shock and stress if it is high-quality.
This comfortable and padded seat pair has four-way adjustment, giving you more flexibility when fishing. As you paddle hard to catch up with the prey, you will find overlapping footwells that provide support for kayakers of all sizes.
Even though it’s only 12 feet long, the kayak offers great stability and has a low center of gravity so going overboard is less likely. Whether you’re alone or with a partner, the kayak is very maneuverable and safe. In addition to increasing your kayak’s lifespan, skid plates are important kayak accessories. It prevents damage to the kayak’s keel with the use of a skid plate. It is possible to replace the skid plate.
It is possible to store a lot of gear with gear straps. A maximum amount of storage space is provided by the deck and hull. There are two molded-in carry handles to make transporting the kayak easier. It is also possible to insert up to 3 hatches for dry storage. If you are looking for the best ocean fishing kayaks that are able to accommodate at least two people, you need to take a look at this impressive model.
- Polyethylene is the material of the hull
- 34-inch width
- 9 inches is the height of the deck
- 500 lb maximum load
- 13 ft 4 in in length
7. Ocean Kayak Caper Angler One-Person Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak, 11 Feet
- Brand Name: Ocean Kayak
- Package Weight: 24.95 Kilograms
- Item Weight: 47 Pounds
- Color: Brown Camo
In our ranking of the best kayaks for ocean fishing, the Ocean kayak caper angler comes in second place. The Caper kayak is a sit-on-top craft designed for those who want a stable, compact vessel for having fun on the water. You may prefer this kayak if you like the idea of carrying it easily and transporting it in your truck.
Due to its unique hull design, the Caper might be a good choice if you want to fish in different locations, specifically the ocean. There is an easily removable Comfort Plus seat on the kayak. Additionally, it has adjustable straps so you can adjust it to suit your needs.
A rear tank well can be used to store a crate or cooler, and bungee cords can be used to keep it all secure. Users can store smaller items in the kayak’s 20-inch Click Seal storage hatch at the bow, which is waterproof and safe. There is a cup holder in the front of the seat for convenience. At the back of the seat, two flush-mounted rod holders are visible.
This tri-hull can handle both flat and choppy waters thanks to its primary and secondary stability. As a result of the hull design, the tracking ability is also enhanced. It’s also maneuverable on the water thanks to its 11-foot length, making it a good choice for the ocean.
- Comfort Plus seat adjusts four ways to accommodate most body types and supports all-day paddling.
- It measures 11 feet long, weighs 47 pounds, and is capable of carrying 325 pounds. The hull is covered by a lifetime warranty.
- There is a large Click Seal bow hatch and a large stern tank well, which includes bungee straps for securing gear and food.
- This kayak is designed with Ocean Kayak’s renowned Tri-Form hull, which combines primary and secondary stability, as well as a long center keel to maintain straightness.
- Off the water, the boat is easy to handle thanks to the bow and stern grab handles, as well as the side-mounted carrying handles.
8. BKC PK11 Angler 10.5-Foot Sit On Top Solo Fishing Kayak w/Instant Reverse Pedal Drive, Hand Control Rudder, Paddle, and Upright Seat
- Brand: BKC
- Weight Limit: 420 Pounds
- Item Weight: 60 Pounds
- Color: Green Camo
- Seating Capacity: 1
- Material: Polyethylene
The BKC Solo is a sit-on-top kayak with an instant reverse pedal drive and an integrated rudder. There are ergonomic comfort seats with a metal frame, an aluminum paddle included, three rod holders, a watertight hatch for the bow, and a stern tank well with bungee cord. The boat has plenty of features.
In addition, the pedal power can be easily upgraded to a trolling motor if you are not satisfied with pedal power. The fishing kayak comes with all the features you could want from a fishing kayak and is capable of being used on any type of water.
- The Roto Molded high density polyethylene material is superior to inflatable kayaks while supporting up to 420 pounds, making it an ideal craft for ocean, lake, or river use. Smoothly gliding over still water, it rides currents, slices through chop, and glides over chop easily.
- Our kayak has a fully loaded accessory package that includes an ergonomic aluminum frame seat, paddle with adjustable length, 2 water resistant hatches, 3 rod holders, 2 paddle parks, and 1 bungee cargo tie down. You can find all the accessories you need for your next adventure here.
- KAYAK FOR OUTDOOR FUN: The Brooklyn Kayak Company PK11 kayak is engineered with excitement in mind. You can tuck your paddle into the paddle keeper and go hands-free with bicycle-style pedals that turn a high-efficiency propeller. In addition to enhancing your steering capabilities, the hand-operated rudder controls will keep you on track while underway.
- This kayak is equipped with a pedal-driven propeller system that lets it move faster than ever before with or without a paddle. Simply pedal backwards to reverse or stop on a dime. You can customize for even more effortless cruising by adding an optional trolling motor upgrade.
- 3 flush-mount fishing rod holders will keep baited lines in the water at once or simply out of the way while you’re paddling or pedaling. There is always the option of convenience, regardless of what you prefer.
How to choose the best ocean fishing kayak?
It is very important to be prepared for your fishing trip in open water such as oceans and seas. A reliable set of equipment is a crucial part of preparation, so if you’re not sure how to choose one, check out this guide
1. Inshore or Offshore Fishing
Prior to making your purchase, you should know what kind of water you will be fishing in, such as tamer inshore waters, which are coastal waters with a maximum depth of 70 feet or offshore waters with a minimum depth of 71 feet.
Kayaks designed for general fishing and kayaks designed for sea or ocean have crucial design differences. They provide incredible tracking, speed, and secondary stability, and are slim and hard-chined.
2. Type: Sit-on-Top vs. Sit-in Kayak
There are two types of fishing kayaks, and which one you choose will depend on where you intend to fish. Kayaks for ocean fishing should be sit-in models since they are more stable and secure. Kayaks come with compartments for your legs so that they remain attached to you while you paddle. As a result, they’re perfect for open waters with challenging conditions and needing a stable vessel.
Besides storing your fishing equipment and personal belongings, they also come with compartments. They have cockpits, which makes them different from Sit-on-Top kayaks.
When you’re a beginner or not well-versed with kayaking, a wider cockpit is a good option since it allows you to move around and experiment with how different body movements affect the kayak’s stability.
Alternatively, if you’re more experienced, a tight-fitting paddle will give you better control over the paddle.
4. Stability and Tracking
Getting a fish hooked on your bait will certainly make you stand up and cast your rod. It’s for this reason that you should choose a kayak that provides plenty of stability and makes keeping your balance easy. It’s worth noting, however, that more stable kayaks are generally harder to paddle and maneuver.
A kayak’s stability is also determined by its tracking, which is the extent to which it can remain on course while underway. When a kayak has good tracking, it will stay on course even when a turning force acts on it, such as a sweep stroke.
5. Paddling Experience
The paddle is an important factor to consider, especially if you are a beginner or intermediate kayaker. In this case, you will want something that doesn’t turn too quickly when you input it. By doing so, your kayak will be more stable and you will feel more confident while navigating it.
6. Weight and Portability
Kayaks are becoming heavier despite all the advances being made in the world of kayaking. In other words, if you want to load your kayak with gear and accessories, make sure it’s going directly into the water from the means of transportation.
It is best to try and choose a lightweight model if you will be dragging it through dirt paths. The most common model would be a sit-in model, which is great for ocean fishing, or an inflatable model.
7. Weight Capacity
Generally, you should buy a kayak with a weight capacity of 100 pounds more than your body weight and all your equipment and gear combined.
No matter what kind of kayak you have, whether it is a recreational kayak or a fishing kayak, stability is essential. You will consider stability when choosing the top ocean fishing kayak for yourself because oceans have the most irregular waters. Anglers who paddle in a stable kayak are able to move freely, access their fishing gear, and even stand up to reel without worrying about tipping over. In addition to being more stable, ocean kayaks designed for flat water can be used to cast from a standing position. It is difficult to create such stability in ocean waves. In these types of waters, kayaks have skinnier dimensions and an enclosed deck that makes them less stable for casting from a standing position. They also have V-shaped hulls to cut through the water. It is important to consider the type of water for the fishing adventure before choosing the fishing kayak.
If you are choosing a fishing kayak of any category or type, storage is a key consideration. Due to their relatively longer length, ocean fishing kayaks usually have more storage space than river fishing kayaks. Those who enjoy fishing in the ocean should look for kayaks with waterproof hatches to protect their valuables. Tankwell storage is suitable for larger items. You can use dry bags instead of sealed hatches to store items that are not waterproof. Kayaks with paddle holders on the sides can make it easier to secure the paddles, as they can interfere with fishing equipment.
There’s no denying that fishing kayaks aren’t cheap – and ocean-going fishing kayaks will see the price point rise even further. A hybrid hull design, advanced seating, and pedal power drives all contribute to this development. It’s unlikely that you’ll get much change from 1-3K. You should consider two things here.
The first thing is to set a personal budget – you should always buy what you can afford without going broke or causing a fight with your partner. The most important thing, though, is to match the craft to your own skill level. Don’t spend thousands of dollars on something you’ve never tried or aren’t ready for. Prior to purchasing the best offshore fishing kayaks, you should at least have some experience. People who aren’t capable of handling the craft leave negative reviews.
Our best overall product is “Ocean Kayak Caper Angler” which offers features like easy-to-carry, lightweight and comfortable seats, and many more. If you are wondering about the best-rated product then I recommend the “Hobie 2020 Mirage Outback“ because it is easy to use, has excellent seats for comfort, and vantage seats that are very adjustable and many more.
Frequently Asked questions related to the best ocean fishing kayak:
What is the best kayak for ocean fishing?
I would choose the Ocean Kayak Trident, the Old Town Predator, and the Perception Pescador as my top three if backed into a corner. These are, coincidentally, the first three kayaks in this review. A special mention goes to all the others listed here as well. For ocean fishing, you’ll need a stable, sit-on-top kayak with comfortable seats and a hybrid hull shape.
Are sit on top kayaks good for the ocean?
In the case of fishing kayaks, yes. When traveling and exploring, sit-in kayaks are much better for venturing out into the ocean. A sit-on-top fishing kayak is the best choice if you plan to stay close to shore and in calmer waters.
Can you stand up in an ocean fishing kayak?
Most ocean fishing kayaks are designed to allow for standing casts and reels but check with the individual product to make sure. Look for kayaks that have special deck/foot sections for standing. When in doubt, ask the manufacturer directly, or read reviews where successful standing casts have been made. I certainly don’t want to be responsible for you falling in.
As a supplement, stand-up paddle boards are designed specifically for fishing, so you can always try them out. If there are rough swells and strong currents, don’t go out. You should try one of these awesome fishing jackets if you are fishing in wet weather, whether you are using a kayak or not.
What size kayak for ocean fishing?
It is recommended that you use a kayak with a length of 12-15 feet for ocean fishing. Tracking and getting anywhere might be difficult if it is shorter than that.
Kayaks that are longer are designed for touring, not turning. When it comes to their overall length, a happy medium is the best choice when it comes to fishing kayaks.
Do you need a special kayak for the ocean?
Yes, it’s highly recommended. It is necessary to have a kayak that has a V-shaped hull that can handle the waves. A V-shaped hull isn’t commonly found in fishing kayaks, as mentioned earlier. It is preferable to have a hybrid design.
A sit-in touring sea kayak would be more suitable if you aren’t fishing and just want to get out there and explore.
Are pedal kayaks worth it?
Yes, of course. You gain a lot of power and control with pedal kayaks, but you also don’t have to pick up and put down your paddle constantly, so you can fish hands-free.
Why are pedal kayaks so expensive?
A track system with efficient pedals, comfortable seats, functionality and features, skid plates, etc. As a result of the tooling and manufacturing of research and development, all of those things add to the price. Pedal kayaks are therefore expensive due to all of those factors.
Can you use a sit-on-top kayak in the ocean?
Except for experienced anglers, anyone considering kayaking in the ocean should use a sit-on-top kayak. Seat-inside kayaks get filled with water and are inconvenient. Taking a sit-inside kayak into the ocean should only be done by experienced kayakers.
How hard is it to kayak in the ocean?
There is usually a moderate level of physical difficulty associated with ocean kayaking trips. Anglers sometimes encounter uncertain conditions such as strong winds that cannot be avoided and require tenacious effort, even though the journey is largely smooth.
How Long Should a Sea or Ocean Kayak Be?
You should usually choose a kayak that is long and wide with a flat bottom if you’re going to fish in the ocean. The length should be between 15 and 20 feet. Waves can be cut through more easily with a longer kayak without losing stability. In any case, this doesn’t mean that shorter kayaks can’t be used for ocean fishing, as long as you know how to use them.
Are Sit-on-Top Kayaks Good for the Ocean?
There is a big difference between fishing kayaks and ocean kayaks. It is only when you merge the features of both types of kayaks that you can buy an ocean fishing kayak.
A sit-on-top kayak is a good choice if you plan to fish in an area that isn’t particularly rough. You should opt for a sit-in kayak instead if you will be facing waves and uneven waters.
Where Can I Store My Catch?
Your fishing trip should include a cooler if you intend to take your catch back to consume it. If you want to bring a cooler with you, you’ll need a fishing kayak that can handle the weight. You can place a cooler in the rear tank well of most fishing kayaks, which comes with decent storage options.
Can I Buy a Cheap Ocean Fishing Kayak?
It is definitely possible. There is no need to pay a lot of money for an ocean fishing kayak that is effective and quality. In order to accomplish this, you simply need to do some good research and be realistic about what your budget will allow.