Healthlytalks.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here
Christmas light timers are essential for creating a successful scheme for decorating with Christmas lights. Christmas light timers need to be installed if they have not already been. There might be no need for a Christmas light timer if your display scheme does not include lights.
However, Christmas light timers are worth the money if you want to be able to control when your lights come on and go off. The way it works is no different than other light timers, such as aquarium timers.
8 Best Outdoor Timer For Christmas Lights
1. BN-LINK Outdoor Power Strip Yard Stake Timer
2. Kasa Outdoor Smart Plug, Smart Home Wi-Fi
3. Woods 2001WD Outdoor UL Listed 24 Hour Dusk
4. Woods 50015WD Outdoor 7-Day Heavy Duty
5. Sterno Home GL33300 12V 300W Low Voltage
6. BN-LINK 7 Day Outdoor Heavy Duty Digital Programmable
7. Woods 13547WD Outdoor Yard Stake with Photocell
8. BN-LINK Compact Outdoor Mechanical 24 Hour
1. BN-LINK Outdoor Power Strip Yard Stake Timer(w Remote Control) with Photocell Dusk Till Dawn, or On at Dusk & 2, 4, 6, 8 Hour Countdown, 6 Grounded Outlets 6 ft Cord Weatherproof 1875W/15A ETL Listed
- Operation Mode: ON-OFF
- Connector Type: Plug In
- Brand: BN-LINK
- Material: Polypropylene
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 9.06 x 3.94 x 5.12 inches
Yard Stake Photocell Timer is the perfect accessory for numerous outdoor appliances such as porch lights, Christmas lights, Halloween decorative lights, outdoor water fountains, and much more. The fabric is water-resistant, so you don’t have to worry about getting wet outside. Turn your lights on automatically at night and never worry about forgetting to turn them off again with this handy product.
- A nifty space-saving solution for multiple outdoor lighting needs, the yard stake timer can be plugged into up to 6 devices simultaneously. It comes with a 6-foot green cord that blends in with your landscaping.
- PHOTOCELL WITH REMOTE CONTROL: It’s a photoelectric outdoor timer that can send signals through walls as thick as 100 feet
- WEIGHTY AND DURABLE: Our timer is heavy duty and suitable for most outdoor appliances. 125V, 60Hz, 15A/1875W Resistive or General Purpose Load, 8A/1000W Tungsten and Electronic Ballast Load, 1/2HP.
- In order to prevent electrical shocks, the timer shuts itself off if it senses an imbalance in electrical current.
- THE OUTDOOR TIMER STAKE HAS 6 outlets with safety covers to protect them from rain, dust, and damage. There is also a rain-proof mechanical timer that can automate the lighting schedule.
2. Kasa Outdoor Smart Plug, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet with 2 Sockets, IP64 Weather Resistance, Compatible with Alexa, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, ETL Certified(EP40)
- Brand: TP-Link
- Product Dimensions: 4.33 x 1.54 x 3.19 inches
- Color: Black
- Item Weight: 9.9 ounces
Despite not being timers in and of themselves, outdoor smart plugs sync up to your phone via Wi-Fi so you can set schedules and timers from anywhere. If you have a virtual assistant device, such as Alexa or Google Home, this Kasa outdoor smart plug can also automatically turn your lights on and off. If you wish, you can also turn on your lights while traveling or at work from your phone. It does not require a hub, but it does require a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection. The dual outlets have attached covers and are IP64 waterproof.
- You can control any outdoor outlet with voice or remote control. The Google Home Assistant or Alexa provide hands-free control of any outdoor electronic appliance. With the Kasa app, you can turn on and off electronics anywhere, whether you are at home, at work, or on vacation.
- Individual control for 2 IN 1 outlets two AC outlets work independently and have a xmaximum of 15A/1875W each. When not in use, the waterproof cover protects it from dirt. With IP64 weather resistance, it has a range of 300 feet for Wi-Fi.
- Automate your smart plug’s turn-on and turn-off by setting a schedule or countdown timer. With sunrise/sunset offsets, you can act in accordance with the actual time of day.
- Kasa is trusted by over 6 Million users and was voted Reader’s Choice by PCMag 2020. A two-year warranty is provided.
- Setup and use are easy, as you only need a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection. Connect the smart plug to the wifi network, open the Kasa app, follow the instructions, and enjoy. You can use it to illuminate landscapes, operate swimming pool pumps, or turn on holiday lights, among other things.
3. Woods 2001WD Outdoor UL Listed 24 Hour Dusk until Dawn Outlet w/Photocell Light Sensor, Settings for on, off, dusk till dawn, or on at dusk & 2, 4, 6, 8 hour countdown, 1 Grounded Outlet, 6″ Cord
- Color: Black
- Material: Other
- Product Dimensions: 1.5″D x 3″W x 6″H
- Brand: Woods
- Style: 24 Hour 2 Outlets
- Power Source: Corded Electric
Woods Outdoor 24hr Outlet Timer Weatherproof features a photocell that automatically turns your lights on and off. You can set the timer for 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours. Switching on and off your lights on your holiday event will save you both time and money. The settings will be repeated automatically daily, so you don’t need to make them every day. A 6-inch cord and 3-wire plugs are compatible with it, and it is also waterproof, so you can use it outdoors without any risk.
- The light turns off according to your schedule – dusk to dawn, 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours after dusk
- A twist of the dial changes the settings every day, so you can change them at any time.
- The photocell detects dusk/darkness and automatically turns on the lights
- It is weatherproof and can be used for holiday decorations, yard lighting, and patio lighting
- You can use these lights for everything from holiday lights and Christmas lights to yard landscape lighting, garden decorations, string lights, security patio lights, deck floodlights, and any type of outdoor lighting you may need.
- The rating is 8. In addition to lamps, fans, rope lights, and small fountain pumps, it also works with 3-amp power sources
4. Woods 50015WD Outdoor 7-Day Heavy Duty Digital Plug-in Timer, 2 Grounded Outlets, Perfect for Automating Holiday/Christmas Lights, 3/4 Horsepower; 15-Amps/ 1875-Watts/ 125-Volts/ 60-Hertz
- Operation Mode: ON-OFF-ON
- Contact Type: Normally Open
- Connector Type: Plug In
- Operating Voltage: 125 Volts (AC)
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 2 x 6.5 x 8 inches
- Brand: Woods
- Material: Plastic
Outdoor 7-Day Heavy Duty Digital Plug-In Timer from Woods features 3 timing settings: a digital timer, a random timer, and a countdown timer. You can program it for 7 days, and each day can be programmed differently from the next, or weekends can be programmed differently from weekdays. As a result, you’ll be able to save more energy and money by programming up to the minute.
Due to its heavy duty design and material, it is ideal for outdoor fountains, heaters, and pool pumps. You don’t have to worry about resetting the timer digital outlet because it has a self-charging backup, so it can retain your settings in case of a power outage.
- With the digital timer, you can program the clock to the minute. A different schedule can be created for each day, or the weekends can be set up differently than weekdays.
- There are three types of timers included in this timer: a digital timer, a random timer, and a countdown timer.
- A heavy-duty outdoor timer is specifically designed to operate pool pumps, fountains, and heaters.
- Use a toothpick to erase any previous settings by pressing the R button
- A self-charging backup eliminates the need to reset the timer after a power failure. In case of a self-charging backup, the settings will be retained.
5. Sterno Home GL33300 12V 300W Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Transformer with Dusk-to-Dawn Timer, Grey
- Brand: Sterno Home
- Mounting Type: Rail Mount
- Current Rating: 2 Amps
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 6.18 x 3.54 x 8.07 inches
A new technology for outdoor landscape lighting is featured on Paradise Garden Lighting’s low-voltage transformer GL33300 (black). Dusk and dawn will be determined either by the auto feature or by the internal astronomical timer, which uses sun-tracking technology to determine when it is dusk and dawn. Adding multiple lights to this 300W landscape transformer gives you a stylish way to highlight your home’s architectural details or outdoor features.
Designed to reach both your front and backyards without affecting voltage, this 12V AC low-voltage transformer features a powerful output. With this versatile, easy-to-use landscape lighting transformer, you can achieve a professional look for low-voltage lighting. Aspects of this product: Color: Black, Type: AC (Alternating Current), Wattage/Voltage: 300W/12V, LCD Screen: Yes. The Paradise GL33300 12V 300W transformer includes: 1 x 60W Transformer, and 1 x User Manual.
- The Sunwise low-voltage transformer uses Sunwise technology to determine the best on/off times for maximum energy efficiency based on your geographical location and sun tracking.
- For all-weather use, the WEATHERPROOF landscape lighting transformer is constructed from rustproof plastic.
- It has 5 different modes: on, off, timer, auto (dusk-to-dawn), and sunwise (local sunset and sunrise).
- The gl series transformers from paradise are comfortable with all low-voltage landscape luminous systems and can be used with incandescent or lighted led lights.
- The interface is intuitive and uncomplicated, and the user manual is included.
6. BN-LINK 7 Day Outdoor Heavy Duty Digital Programmable Timer BND/U78, 125VAC, 60Hz, Dual Outlet, Weatherproof, Heavy Duty, Accurate for Lamps Ponds Christmas Lights 1875W 1/2HP ETL Listed
- Color: Off-white, Black
- Brand: BN-LINK
- Material: Plastic
- Item Weight: 14 Ounces
- Human Interface Input: Buttons
It is recommended that you go with the digital programmable timer by BN-LINK if you would like to have the most control over your holiday lighting. You can set each day of the week individually as well, so that your lights turn on when you want them to, due to its digital interface that allows you to program up to eight different programs down to the minute. The device also comes with an AA battery backup system in case there is a power outage so that it will continue to work even if there is no power. This one is weatherproof and has two grounded outlets. In addition, it has two grounded outlets on the top.
- Ensure your home is protected by activating the “Random” Vacation mode. You can still make your house look lived in even if you are away from it.
- INCLUDES WEATHER PROOF construction for outdoor Christmas/garden/landscape lights, pool pumps, fountains, etc.
- Two grounded outlets allow you to set up to 8 on/off programs. There is simultaneous control of multiple outlets, and settings can be as short as one minute.
- This item is safe and reliable due to its heavy duty material, 18 inch cord, and two grounded outlets. A rating of 125V, 60 Hz, 15A/1875W resistive, 8A/1000W tungsten.
- Choose from a variety of convenient pre-set combination days or choose your own. By pressing a button, you can switch to Daylight Savings mode. The long-lasting backup battery keeps your settings even if the power goes out (not included in the package).
7. Woods 13547WD Outdoor Yard Stake with Photocell and Built-In Timer, 6 Grounded Outlets, 6ft Cord, Green
- Style: 6-Outlet
- Color: Green
- Brand: Coleman Cable
- Item Weight: 1 pounds
Yard stake timers can be plugged into up to 6 outlets. A space-saving solution for your multiple outdoor lighting needs, it is designed to save you space. It comes with a 6-foot green cord that blends in with your garden. As well as a durable rainproof cover, it has individual safety covers that protect them from rain, dust, and damage. Using this best outdoor timer, the lights will turn on and off at dusk and repeat daily for 2, 4, 6, 8 hours. The purpose of this is to let you get the stake light timer up and running as quickly as possible.
- Makes your home look lived in by controlling landscape lighting and holiday decorations.
- It can be used for holiday lights, christmas lights, yard landscape lighting, garden decorations, string lights, security patio lights, deck flood lights, and any other outdoor lighting.
- Safety covers on 6 grounded outlets
- cETL-rated, CFL-compatible 6-foot 16-gauge SJTW cord.
- The light turns on automatically at dusk and turns off at dawn or can be programmed to turn on at dusk and turn off 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours later, repeating daily.
- Tungsten are 125-volt, 13-amp, 1625-watt
8. BN-LINK Compact Outdoor Mechanical 24 Hour Programmable Dual Outlet Timer – Plugin timer, Waterproof, Heavy Duty
- Brand: BN-LINK
- Number of settings: 24
- Color: Heavy Duty
- Human Interface Input: Dial
- Material: Polypropylene
Over 12,000 reviews have been written about the BN-LINK outdoor mechanical timer, which has an overall rating of 4.6 stars on Amazon. Is there a reason for its popularity? Furthermore, its mechanical programmable interface allows you to choose between 48 different settings throughout a 24-hour day, controlling the two grounded outlets at 15-minute intervals. If you want your lights to remain on for a certain period of time, you simply have to press down the pins.If you want your lights to remain on for a certain period of time, you simply have to press down the pins.
- With 48 setting options in 24 hours, it can be programmed in 15 minute intervals. The total number of ON/OFF settings per day is 48. It repeats the schedule with a personal setting every day.
- We offer dual 3-prong, grounded timer outlets that are ETL listed and conform to UL standards. 917. Voltage: 125V, 60Hz, 15A maximum, 1875W resistive or general purpose lamp, 8A tungsten lamp, 1/2HP, TV-5.
- Weatherproof for outdoor use: Cover protects timer from the elements. It is made of heavy duty material and has two grounded outlets, making it durable and safe.
- The mechanical timer can be set easily by turning the dial to the current timer first, pushing the pins down to turn on, and pulling the pins up to turn off. You can enjoy the convenience of TIMER by switching it to that position.
- There are two 3-prong grounded outlets for devices like Christmas lights, fountain timers, pool pumps, patio and yard lights, and holiday decorations.
How to choose the best outdoor Timer for Christmas lights?
When purchasing a product, what factors do you consider? Prior to making any purchase, it is important to understand this. Throughout this article, we will discuss the most important factors to consider when buying an outdoor timer. Before proceeding further with your search, you should first try to locate an outdoor timer.
The following characteristics should be taken into account when choosing outdoor light timers.
1: Number of Switches
The timers for light switches are supplied only in sets of two, despite the fact that you can purchase a variety of timers for different lights throughout your home. When purchasing two switch timers, you will often save money, and you can power more lights at the same time than if you purchased only one switch timer.
Make sure your switch can handle the amount of electricity being consumed by the number of lights you have now turned on. Using these light switch timers to power domestic appliances should not cause a problem, since they can handle a maximum power rating of 1800 watts.
Considering that you will use your timer to control the majority of your outdoor equipment, it is extremely important that it is weather-resistant. Because it is located outside, it can be attached almost anywhere. It is possible for a particular location to experience a variety of weather conditions, and those conditions can be utterly unpredictable. You can use your timer no matter what the weather conditions are due to these characteristics. As some people do, we shouldn’t think about weather resilience as only being able to withstand rain and snow. It should continue to function correctly even during extremely hot weather.
4: The number of programs
A timer’s utility is also determined by this property of its operation. The number of programs that can be altered varies from appliance to appliance. A variety of preferences can also be set for your appliances so that they perform the way you want them to. Consequently, it is crucial to determine the number of programs currently running. An electronic gadget may have only a one-timer programmed into it in rare cases. On the market, there are several timers that can run multiple programs simultaneously. With the help of this tool, you can quickly and easily set up your system.
5: Availability of outlets
It is possible to use a timer to govern one or more devices, depending on their functionality. Many timers are available that can control several devices simultaneously from a single outlet, which is very convenient. You’ll need to look hard and long for timers with multiple outlets. With this feature, you can change the time simultaneously on two devices.
6: Backup battery
If you live in an area where power outages are frequent, you will particularly benefit from this feature. It is necessary to have two features in order to solve this challenge. A backup battery is the first thing you’ll need, which you should always carry with you. There is a timer on this battery, which makes it convenient to use.
A battery backup provides energy to keep the computer running in the event of a power outage. It may also be advantageous for you in this situation to have memory features. It will not prevent your timer from being closed, but it will allow you to restore the settings it has previously stored despite the fact that it won’t prevent your timer from being closed. Since long-term memory is not always available in timers of this type, volatile memory such as random access memory (RAM) can also be used.
Light switch timers’ dependability and capacity to withstand high power loads are just as important as their performance, as they allow your lights to remain on for longer periods of time without being damaged or blown out. There are a few that offer warranties of up to five years, but the majority come with one-year warranties.
When purchasing a power supply, it is important to consider power and amperage capabilities, cable lengths, input methods, and overall design. In addition to increasing the lifespan of your timers and equipment, you’ll also be lowering your energy consumption.
Because you have a long power connection, you won’t have any trouble finding an outlet nearby. In the event of rain or storms, it may become vulnerable to damage. Due to this, it needs to be appropriately protected from the elements. Timer settings should be simple enough for the user to easily toggle on and off the timer. You should make sure your timer is made from durable materials to ensure its safety. Also, ensure that the outlets on your timer are grounded properly.
Frequently Asked Questions Related to the best outdoor timer for Christmas lights?
Where to Use Christmas Light Timers?
Safety ratings are assigned to Christmas light timers to identify where they can be safely used. The same timer can be used indoors and outdoors with a Christmas light timer that is rated for outdoor use. Despite their ability to withstand general weather conditions, outdoor timers should not be used in locations where they may become submerged. Timers rated for indoor locations are only intended for use indoors and should not be used outside. Indoor displays and Christmas trees are better suited to their operation. A Christmas light timer should be placed in a dry area away from water and moisture.
What are the Types of Indoor and Outdoor Christmas Light Timers?
A Christmas light timer does not require hardwiring and is easy to use. Once the timer is plugged into your outlet, you can set your schedule and then plug your lights into it. Christmas light timers can be classified into three types:
1۔ The mechanical Christmas light timer, also known as an analog timer, keeps track of the time using clockwork. Mechanical timers usually feature multiple on and off points and can be set in intervals of fifteen minutes or an hour.
2۔ Unlike mechanical timers, digital Christmas light timers allow you to program schedules down to the minute. If there is a power outage, these timers can also have a battery backup to keep your schedules from being erased.
3۔ Timers for astronomical Christmas lights have built-in programming that tells when the sun rises and sets in your area. Multi-event timers are available in mechanical and digital versions.
A mechanical timer for large displays can have up to eight outlets, while most timers have one or two outlets. It is possible to daisy chain Christmas lights together as long as the total amperage and wattage does not exceed the ratings of the timer and Christmas string lights. Ensure that string lights can be safely connected together before connecting sets together. Listed on the product page of each set of LED Christmas lights at 1000Bulbs.com is the maximum number of connections that the set can accommodate. Landscape lighting, security lights, and other indoor and outdoor lighting can be controlled by outdoor Christmas light timers when not used for holiday lighting.
How programmable light switch work?
In the market today, push-button light switches are not as popular as they used to be. More and more people prefer IR light switches, wireless light switches, and motion detector lights, especially 7-day programmable light switches. Many excellent features and flexibility make it so popular.
Light switches with timers are usually sleek and mount flush with standard light switch covers. It is compatible with many different types of lighting equipment, including incandescent and halogen bulbs. It offers two modes of operation to accommodate the temporary need to change the current status. You can also override the programming manually, so don’t worry, it won’t change the programming.
So let’s talk about its main function now. It is possible to turn on and off household appliances and lighting equipment in more than 7 different sequences with these lighting switches. It’s an amazing feature that allows you to set up any combination within a week and day. If you want, you can make it work only one day a week, or every day, or only Saturday and Sunday, or Monday, Wednesday and Friday, etc. When the programming is set, you can just forget it and do what needs to be done.
What are the Types of Timers for Lights?
Light is detected by a small device called a “photocell,” which is included in many outdoor timers. As soon as a photocell detects sunlight, it automatically switches on the gadgets and keeps them powered for a predetermined period. For continuous illumination throughout the night, this is the best option.
Time is kept by mechanical timers by means of precision clockwork. These timers are usually controlled by a dial, just like kitchen timers. It is possible to program lighting, appliances, and seasonal decorations to turn on and off at specific times.
3: Digital Timers
Modern technology has simplified the process of setting up and operating digital timers. Apart from being easy to use, these timers also allow you to create more customized schedules and offer you a wide range of programming options. The LCD screen of a digital timer allows it to control many devices at once.
4: Timers that can be programmed for light switches
A variety of timers for light switches can be configured with a variety of on/off settings, according to their makers. At one time, 56 timers could be incorporated into a single memory location. In addition, these gadgets can project different levels of lighting in order to give the impression that someone is at home, which is particularly useful. A programmable switch offers greater versatility than a mechanical switch. In spite of the fact that they require more complex programming, they are still quite useful.
5: Wireless Timers
Remotely controlling these light switch timers is possible with digital devices. Smartphones and tablets can be used to adjust smart timers through apps. Bluetooth technology is also available on some of these timers, so you can control them by speaking.
6: Exterior Light Timers
The intensity of outdoor lights can be controlled with timer switches in a variety of lighting applications. The same controls used for controlling indoor lighting can also be used for lighting porches, patios, and other outdoor areas. Depending on the amount of light available outside, you can schedule the lights to turn on and off. They can also be worn throughout the year due to their waterproof nature.
By conserving energy, outdoor timers not only help you save money, but they also allow you to relax by removing the worry about when your devices turn on and off. Considering the wide variety of timers available, it is necessary to choose the right one for your needs.
Our best overall product is “BN-LINK Outdoor Power Strip Yard Stake” which offers features like weighty and durable, protocol with remote control, durable and it prevents electric shocks.
“Kasa Outdoor Smart Plug, Smart Home Wi-Fi” is the editor’s choice which contains features like weather resistance, setup ease, and durability. If you are looking for the best budget product then I recommend “Woods 2001WD Outdoor UL Listed 24 Hour Dusk” which offers features like you can lights turn off according to your schedule, small fountain pumps, rope lights, and many more.
In this article, we compare and review the best outdoor timers. Our outdoor timer buying guide also provides basic information. In the end, it is difficult to choose only one product from the list as the best.