Healthlytalks.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here
Generally, sit-on-top kayaks are less popular than kayaks with a seat on top. Anglers can fish either sitting down or standing up while fishing from a kayak. Although sit-inside kayaks may not allow you to stand up comfortably, sit-on-top kayaks often have models that allow you to stand up without any difficulty.
Anglers can reap many benefits from standing when fishing. Standing allows for a wider range of motion when casting and manipulating the lure. You will be able to cast farther and with greater accuracy if you stand.
You can also locate fish and structures with it, in addition to improving visibility. Standing up and changing your position while fishing is simply a great way to stretch your legs. This option is nice in addition to sitting.
In order to be a good sit-on-top kayak, you should buy one that’s not marketed as a standup fishing kayak. You should also make sure it has plenty of primary stability and a wide beam. There is also a large, open, flat deck on which you can put your feet comfortably. Elevated seating platforms will make it easier for people to move from sitting to standing.
So, this guide will lead you toward the best stand up fishing kayak that are currently available in the marketplace. From Vibe Kayaks, Perception Kayaks, Wilderness Systems, Bonafide Kayaks, Pelican, Sea Eagle, Native Watercraft and Evoke, you can choose from a wide selection of standup fishing kayaks and paddleboards from these brands.
Standup paddleboards are also an option for anglers. Designed for standing, fishing SUPs offer stability and ease of use. There aren’t as many of these options around, but you shouldn’t ignore them.
10 Best Stand Up Fishing Kayak
1. BKC TK181 12.5′ Tandem Sit On Top Kayak
2. Perception Outlaw 11.5 | Sit on Top Fishing
3. Vibe Kayaks Maverick 120 12 Foot Hybrid
4. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
5. BOTE Lono Aero Inflatable Kayak
6. SUNDOLPHIN Boss SS Sit-On
7. Lifetime Pro Angler 118 Fishing Kayak
8. Wilderness Systems ATAK 120
9. Lifetime 10 Foot, Two Person Tandem Fishing
10. Riot Kayaks Escape 12 Angler Sit-On
1. BKC TK181 12.5′ Tandem Sit On Top Kayak W/ 2 Soft Padded Seats, Paddles,7 Rod Holders Included 2 Person Kayak
- Brand: BKC
- Material: Aluminium, Polyethylene
- Item Weight: 68 Pounds
- Seating Capacity: 2
- Colour: GreenCamo
There is a significant amount of storage space in BKC’s tandem kayak UH-TK181. Anglers will enjoy a number of features and a stable platform that is suitable for a wide range of fishing activities.
Paddleboards and kayaks are manufactured and offered by Brooklyn Kayak Company in New York City. Whether you are fishing or paddling, their boats can help you enjoy the water. It is their goal to design boats that are easy to use and come complete with everything they need.
Anyone looking to paddle with a company will love BKC’s stand-up fishing kayak. It may be difficult to handle the boat in some conditions without a companion, but it has a lot of flexibility and storage options in any case.
If you are looking for the best stand-up kayak for fishing, the BKC UH-TK181 is the one for you. Designed to hold lots of gear, this fishing bag is ready to use.
- Brooklyn Kayak Company BKC TK181 tandem kayak comes with extra room for three, so you can paddle with your family or take your kids for fishing with you.
- This kayak is fully equipped with two soft padded seats, two aluminum paddles that can be adjusted, two waterproof hatches, six-rod holders, and two paddle parks. If you’re planning an outdoor adventure, we’ve got everything you’ll need.
- It can surf oceans, lakes, and rivers, as well as support up to 595 lbs, due to its Roto Molded single Piece High-Density Polyethylene material.
- Because of its 34-inch beam, our kayak remains stable even in choppy waters and swift currents, making it ideal for fishing under any weather condition.
- Multiple baited lines can be held in the water simultaneously and the rods can be kept out of your way while paddling with four flush-mount rod holders and three articulating rod holders.
- If convenience is more important to you, then you can always choose that option.
- The BKC TK181 dual watertight storage hatches are ideal for keeping all your valuables dry. Every seat has one, so you’ll always be able to reach your gear.
- All of your fishing gear and outdoor gear can be stored in the rear cargo space with bungee cords.
2. Perception Outlaw 11.5 | Sit on Top Fishing Kayak | Fold Away Lawn Chair Seat | 4 Rod Holders | Integrated Tackle Trays | 11′ 6″
- Brand: Perception Kayaks
- Color: Grasshopper
- Material: Polyethylene
- Seating Capacity: 2
Outlaw 11.5 by Perception measures 11.5 feet long so you get what you expect. The name does not mean it boasts a large 35-inch open cockpit with traction pads and a high seating position, but rather a large standing platform.
Due to its molded bows and sterns, as well as side tracks that serve as gear tracks, it weighs 77 pounds. There is a capacity of 425 pounds, which provides room for paddlers of all sizes and all the fishing gear they may need.
As well as tank wells in the bow and stern of the boat, double rod holders, and three Solo Mount slots, this boat comes with plenty of space for accessories. A dry-storage hatch is the only thing missing.
Anglers can enjoy a comfortable fishing experience with the Outlaw 11.5’s simple and effective design that provides a strong platform for fishing at an affordable price.
You May Like This: 10 Best Affordable Fishing kayak – Buyer’s Guide
- Fishing at its best with the newest generation.
- Small to extra-large paddlers can use this board.
- Enhancements to the seating console foldable and removable frame seat.
- Crates and fishing gear can be stored in the large bow and stern tank wells.
- Up to four fishing rods can be accommodated by two double-barrel rod holders.
- Mounts and accessory holders (sold separately) can be easily added with the 3 solo mount holes.
- You can easily access items that are important to you because of molded-in trays and cup holders.
- A unique bow and stern handle in molded plastic for easy transport; Gear tracks are integrated into side handles.
3. Vibe Kayaks Maverick 120 12 Foot Hybrid Angler Sit On Top or Stand No-Flex Deck Fishing Kayak Hull Only or Hero Comfort Seat or Larry Pro Angler Chair and Gear Tracks and Built in Storage Included
- Brand: Vibe Kayaks
- Material: Rotomolded single piece high density polyethylene
- Color: Jam Berry
A mean-looking kayak that will fully satisfy all your vertical fishing needs, while not technically being a kayak. There is nothing like a comfortable kayak, especially one with a deck that gives a lot of stability and comfort, and this is the Vibe Kayaks Maverick.
Even the fastest-moving fish in the river can be hunted with this kayak due to its five gear tracks. Our recommendation would be to use this nippy little number if you’re looking to chase and capture plenty of fish.
Featuring gear tracks, multiple paddle parks, and other features to facilitate rapid-fire fishing. The rear bungee tie-down systems can even be used to secure your gear. It keeps you afloat if the waters start getting choppy because the decking underneath is very stable.
- Kayak SUP Hybrid: A 12-foot board that weighs 72 pounds and can handle a weight of 475 pounds, suitable for fishing, travel, and family outings.
- This solid deck is constructed from one piece of rotomolded high-density polyethylene with pressure-injected foam interiors to prevent sinking.
- Six tie-down points for coolers or seats and five gear tracks for custom rigging.
- With bungee tie-downs in front and rear and 8″ sealed hatches, you have multiple storage options.
- A five-handle deck design and two bungee paddle parks, flat, open deck design, comfort grip deck padding.
4. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
- Style: Tamarack Angler With Paddle
- Brand: Lifetime
- Material: Hard Shell
- Item Weight: 56.5 Pounds
- Color: Tan
Lifetime Tamarack Angler is a part of our list, which offers a comprehensive package of features. As a result of the kayaking trip being much easier and more enjoyable, this type of fishing is effective, comfortable, and maneuverable.
A kayak’s compact design allows its user to move about freely while maintaining enough space. Additionally, this equation makes it possible to easily transfer the Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 between your garage and truck, as well as between your truck and the shore.
There are a number of handles on the rear and sides of the Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 to facilitate fishing. Storage is one of the most important features of any kayak, and the Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 delivers in more ways than one. Inside, there are compartments that keep your valuables dry.
You’ll also find two 6-inch storage hatches for holding onto smaller items that are still at your fingertips when you need them. Kayaks like this one have a fantastic reputation for stability on the water, as well as their reliability in cutting through tides without a problem. All that is possible because of its skeg, which works constantly.
A swivel holder, rod holders, and bow and stern holders are included in this kayak. To ensure maximum comfort, the Lifetime Tamarack Angler features a padded seat that can be adjusted and is completely made from UV-protected high-density polyethylene.
As a final point, even though the Lifetime Tamarack Angler can carry 275 pounds, it isn’t suitable for the powerful tides of whitewater. It is also a little uncomfortable to stand on the kayak’s standing area, as it does not provide much space.
- A high-density polyethylene bag with UV protection. A variety of footrest positions are available for riders of different sizes. The bottom is flat and stable.
- The seat pad and back of the seat can be adjusted to provide comfort. Holders for two fishing rods flush mounted on the wall. Fishing rod holder with top mount.
- Shock cord straps on both sides. Paddlekeeper and adult black paddle included in the rear and center storage compartments.
- For easy transport, there are t-handles on the front and back. Tracking channels in the hull are deep.
- A chine rail that provides stability. The HDPE construction is durable and long-lasting.
5. BOTE Lono Aero Inflatable Kayak & Stand Up Paddle Board | Kayak for Fishing & Recreation
- Brand: BOTE
- Material: PVC
- Item Weight : 61 Pounds
- Style: Kayak
A stand-up paddleboard is a great fishing vessel for those who don’t know whether they should use a kayak or a stand-up paddle board (SUP). Inflatable kayaks can be quickly converted to offer two-in-one functionality. In addition, the kayak plus SUP comes with many features that you may be interested in for your angling passions.
A top chamber is present. Fly fishing is made more enjoyable by sitting on it comfortably. The top chamber can also be removed instantly whenever you wish to experience some kayaking excitement.
Read more: 10 Best Fly Fishing Kayak – Buyer’s Guide
Aero Bote technology is used in the manufacture of kayak. This allows you to go to the fishing location at any time in less than a minute once it is inflated. As part of the package, you get a roller bag that makes transporting the kayak as easy as possible.
The chambers are divided into four different types. Stability and durability are ensured by these chambers. The inflatable kayak can still move safely if one of the chambers is punctured, and the three other chambers keep it upright until you return to the river bank.
Navigating with it is comfortable and easy due to the fin tracking system. In addition to the keel guard, the construction meets military standards. A kayak is thus designed to withstand the harshest weather while maintaining maximum durability.
With its Kula port, the kayak can easily be transformed into a floating bar on the water. So, don’t worry about being bored when fishing. Additionally, you can remove the top chamber so that your child can have fun. An auto-draining cockpit is featured on this model. On the deck, there is no place for unwanted water to gather.
- Don’t know whether to get a kayak or paddle board? This convertible kayak and paddle board will let you decide.
- The kayak can be converted almost instantly into a SUP by removing the top chamber. You can have it all!
- It can quickly be transformed from a travel bag to a 12′6′′ kayak with the AeroBOTE Technology. Compact and lightweight at 39 by 18.5 by 13.5 inches and 70 pounds.
- The bag is made of high-quality materials and travels comfortably.
- The 4-chambered construction of Lono assures stability and durability, while a 10-inch removable fin provides tracking and durable keel guards.
- This ultralight, military-grade PVC vessel provides ease of access to the water because of its military-grade construction.
- A BVA deck pad for comfort, a grab handle, a D-ring, and stash nets for storage are included. Features RAC receivers, KULA port, sand spear sheath, grab handles, KULA port, KULA ports, and sand spear sheath.
- The Roller bag, hand pump, center fin, foot bar, and repair kit are all included in this kit. Paddles for kayaks and SUPs are all you need.
- There is no additional cost for the manufacturer for 2-year warranty on paddle boards.
6. SUNDOLPHIN Boss SS Sit-On/Stand On Top Angler Kayak (Gray, 12.3-Feet)
- Brand: SUNDOLPHIN
- Item Weight : 78 Pounds
- Material: Plastic
- Color: Gray
- Style: Platform,Flat
Boss, Sun Dolphin’s 12.3-foot, 78-pound hull, is undoubtedly the best-looking boat in its class. In addition to its wide beam and catamaran-style hull, the boat has a flat bottom which makes it very stable. On the deck, there are a few minor dents and scratches, but most of them are cosmetic.
While sitting, anglers can enjoy a comfortable fishing experience with the elevated, multi-position seat, and standing is even safer due to non-slip pads and a strap that helps anglers stand.
In addition, the Kayak has easy access storage and can handle 500 pounds, making it a great stand-up kayak for big guys. Besides two quick-lock hatches, there are also tank wells that can hold bungee rigging, four flush rod holders, and one swivel rod holder.
You can either sit in the Sun Dolphin Boss SS or stand up on your feet to fish, but it’s designed to provide stability, performance, and comfort.
- The hull of a catamaran is designed with a flat platform that provides stability.
- A milk crate or bucket can be stored in the front or rear storage wells.
- An anti-slip pad and a stand-up strap are included. It has a capacity of 500 pounds.
- A seat that can be folded down in two positions.
- A handle for carrying the paddle and a paddle holder.
7. Lifetime Pro Angler 118 Fishing Kayak, Gator Camo
- Brand: Lifetime
- Style: Gator Camo
- Material: Plastic
- Item Weight: 85 Pounds
- Color: Gator Camo
To assist you in fishing, don’t forget to check out the Emotion Stealth Pro Angler kayak whenever you decide to take your angling skills to the next level. Your fishing comfort will be taken to the next level with this unique design.
Kayaks have hulls that look like tunnels. Kayaks can maneuver through water aggressively it. The tunnel hull also provides a better and more stable tracking experience. This means that it never gets lost and always moves in the right direction.
Premium materials are used to make the seat. Three positions can be adjusted easily. Thus, it is perfectly suited for your paddling, fishing, and relaxation needs. You will also be able to stay sweat-free and moisturized with the seat’s optimal breathability.
With the foot brace, you can adjust your legs so that they fit comfortably within the kayak. As a result of the wide hull, the boat is more stable. Thus, you can cast and reel in the catches while standing up on the kayak. Fly fishers will particularly benefit from this technique.
The kayak is fully assembled upon arrival and can be used immediately for fishing. There are also two tackle boxes and two-rod holders that are flush mounted. Flambeau’s tackle boxes offer a better fishing experience, as they are made with high-quality materials.
For anglers, there are also some great additions to the kayak. A self-balancing capacity is supported by scupper holes. Most of the time, it keeps the kayak dry by draining. A watertight oval hatch is also located on the front.
A Gear Trac system allows mounting tools in six different positions. Your stand-up fishing experience on the kayak will be enhanced by all these storage and mounting positions.
- With three adjustable settings, the framed seating system can provide seating for fishers, paddlers, and relaxers alike.
- With its innovative tunnel hull design, the boat cuts aggressively through the water in a gradual transition into a tunnel hull that enhances its tracking ability.
- Stand-up casting is possible due to the high initial stability of the hull.
- This set includes two Flambeau tackle boxes as well as two flush mount rod holders.
8. Wilderness Systems ATAK 120 | Sit on Top Fishing Kayak | Premium Angler Kayak | 12′
- Brand: Wilderness Systems
- Material: Polyethylene
- Color: Mesa Camo
- Weight Limit: 86 Pounds
The kayak we are presenting next can handle all the elements and, because of its windproof hull and walkable surfaces, you can be certain you will find it extremely useful for fishing.
Wilderness Systems introduces the ATAK 120 kayak, a fishing kayak with a deck that can be customized to meet your needs.
High visibility and amazing comfort are possible with the AirPro MAX seat. The flex pod console also allows you to attach electronic components for precision fishing. A motor drive can also be installed in order to reel in larger fish.
Your seat can also be collapsed, which allows you to move freely throughout the boat. Having this vantage point will be extremely valuable if you are fishing in deep water or managing multiple rods at the same time.
- The new Helix MD motor drive is compatible with a tactical angling kayak (a TAK).
- Experience best-in-class design with the A. T. A. K. 140 in a compact package that makes it easier to manage.
- A deck designed to shed wind and provide unmatched stability.
- 12′ 3″ is the length of the boat.
- 86 pounds is the weight of the boat.
9. Lifetime 10 Foot, Two Person Tandem Fishing Kayak with Paddles
- Brand: Lifetime
- Material: Hard Shell
- Item Weight: 60 Pounds
- Seating Capacity: 2
- Color: Camouflage
We’ll then take a look at the Lifetime 10 Foot, which offers impressive versatility and flexibility. Kayaks like this handle a weight of 500 lbs well, and they can be used as solo kayaks or tandem kayaks, depending on whether you want to go alone or with a friend.
You Must Read: 9 Best Tandem kayak for fishing – Buyer’s Guide
Additionally, it’s made from UV-resistant high-density polyethylene, just like its friend. By using this specific construction, the kayak can maintain its compactness while remaining abrasive and leakp roof.
Now let’s take a look at the kayak’s path. There is a gradual narrowing of the front of the Lifetime 10 Foot. Can you tell me what this does? That’s a good question. Paddlers can easily change their destinations and kayaks can easily travel through water. Therefore, navigation will be improved.
It provides its users with maximum comfort due to its ergonomic design. Furthermore, its highly adjustable seats make sure that everyone can find a seat that suits them.
The Lifetime 10 Foot is not compact, however, as there is also a 6-inch rear hatch that can be used for all of the extras, as well as bungee lines to secure all of the extras, ensuring that everything is properly stored.
Furthermore, it comes with three flash rod holders and adjustable footrests to prevent you from experiencing discomfort or fatigue when sitting for a long time. It is also very difficult to detect because Lifetime 10 Foot’s greenish color blends perfectly into its surroundings and is easy to conceal.
Last but not least, you get two paddles with this guy, so there is no mixing and matching is necessary. However, it does not include a skeg, which could have greatly improved direction and tracking.
- Tandem or solo paddling is possible with this versatile design.
- Transport and storage are made easy with a 10-foot compact length.
- Rear storage hatch and three-rod holders.
- 500-pound weight capacity stable hull design.
- The warranty period of five years.
10. Riot Kayaks Escape 12 Angler Sit-On-Top Flatwater Fishing Kayak (12-Feet)
- Brand: Riot Kayaks
- Material: Plastic
- Item Weight: 68 Pounds
- Seating Capacity: 1
- Color: Forest
Although it may seem unpromising at first glance, this sit-on-top kayak will certainly be of great assistance when fishing. There is a standard length of 12 feet on the kayak. As a result, its portability won’t be a problem for you.
In order to quickly reach the fishing locations, it should easily fit on the roof of an SUV or pick-up van. The kayak is also relatively lightweight, making portability even more convenient compared to larger kayaks.
There are five fishing rod holders on the kayak, which you will love. Consequently, you always have a wide selection of fishing rods to choose from to rig and lure the fish. Thus, it will provide you with a wonderful fishing experience.
Pilot mounting is included in its rudder system. Tracking and navigation are made easier. Kayaks equipped with this rudder system should always steer in the right direction. When there is a chance of losing direction due to stormy conditions or bad weather, it protects anglers.
An integrated console allows anglers to adjust their seating posture according to their preference. Paddling is also made easier by the wide openings in front of the legs. In addition, there is a cup holder integrated into the design. As a result, you always have a refreshment item at hand when you need it.
- A number of features are available on the Riot Kayak Escape 12 Angler, such as high back seating, foot braces that adjust, an auto-pilot system, a trolley anchor system, a dual-density hatch cover.
- A customized console with molded-in cup holders, deck plates with 4 inches, paddle hooks on both sides, a rod holder with one adjustment, 2 flush mount rod holders on the front and rear, shock cord storage on the rear deck, drainplug, 2 rubber handles, and scupper plugs.
- Their comfy sit-on-top high back and seat combo have four attachment points, each mounted on an independently adjustable strap, allowing you to customize your position in a minute.
- In addition to being light and strong, the pilot rudder has a profiled blade made from glass-reinforced plastic.
- This Pilot rudder system is well known for its smoothness of operation regardless of windage, a feature made possible by the rubberized V-blocks and oval pulleys that make it a low-windage openwork design.
- With this mounted holder, you can adjust its height vertically and rotate the holder 360 degrees.
- There is a rear saddle on the standard rod holder that accepts rod and reel combinations of all shapes and sizes.
- Featuring a swivel lock that keeps rods from falling, and a vertical swivel that makes rod positioning easy, the swivel lock prevents rod loss.
How To Choose The Best Stand Up Fishing Kayak?
Because standing up while fishing has so many advantages, any serious angler should choose a kayak that allows them to stand easily. A quality kayak with the following design characteristics will enable you to confidently stand up if you’re looking for a stand-up kayak.
1. Primary Stability
Any kayak’s description should include the term primary stability. Primary or secondary stability is prioritized in the design of any kayak’s hull.
Secondary stability refers to the outer portions of the kayak’s hull near its edge and how much weight it can handle before tipping over. Primary stability refers to the kayak’s ability to remain stable in calm waters.
It is very important to have secondary stability when kayaking in rough water, like turbulent rivers or open oceans with choppy waves, secondary stability is very important. For a kayak to stand up properly, its primary stability is most important because it prevents it from tipping forward or backward.
There are very few kayaks that are designed for both primary and secondary stability simultaneously. In other words, you will need a kayak that has either or both of these features.
It is preferable to choose primary stability when fishing on calm, flat waters. You might choose a kayak with greater secondary stability if you plan to travel or fish in areas with less stable water.
2. Hull Shape
It’s possible to choose the hull shape and design of a kayak based on your preference. There are strengths and weaknesses to each of these options based on what kind of water you paddle in. There are different hull types of kayaks available like flat, V-shaped, rounded, and pontoon hulls all have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Flat hull kayaks are often the best choice for stand-up kayak fishing, especially if you plan to use it in calm water like lakes, ponds, or slow-moving rivers. A pontoon, V-shaped or rounded hull might be better if you are likely to end up in rough water.
It is also possible to achieve the best stability possible by choosing a pontoon hull. A kayak with a pontoon hull is often well-rounded and suitable for use in a range of conditions because of its combination of primary and secondary stability.
3. Elevated Seat
The reason for choosing a kayak with a high or elevated seat is that they are generally more comfortable while standing up. In addition to being more comfortable, a high seat prevents you from having to bend your knees as much, as well as doing a lot less work on your back. In addition, standing up from a high seat is much easier than standing up from a low seat.
An elevated seat is much more comfortable for kayak anglers than a lower seat since they can sit for hours at a time in it. You can adjust the seat height of a premium kayak so that it is comfortable in a high position and offers you a greater range of motion.
4. Weight Carrying Capacity
Whenever you go kayak fishing, you will have a ton of accessories with you. There are baits, lures, reels, hooks, fish finders, transducers, and personal gadgets like smartphones and watches on the list.
It also increases the vessel’s overall weight capacity when you’re on board. In light of this, you should understand the importance of the kayak’s weight-bearing capacity.
If you are looking for a kayak, make sure you buy one with a higher weight capacity than your current needs. The kayak will allow you to carry more weight even if you need to use it at some point.
An ideal kayak should be able to carry between 350 and 500 pounds. Generally, 450 pounds or less. It is possible to carry 550 pounds in a kayak designed for two people. There are kayaks that can handle 325 pounds, and these are also good choices.
5. Weight Capacity
You can also affect a kayak’s stability by putting too much weight inside. It’s important to select a kayak with a higher weight capacity if you’re bringing a lot of gear along or if you’re a larger person.
Loading a kayak to its full capacity can run the risk of tipping over, so never load it completely. You should keep your weight within 75 percent of your kayak’s total capacity instead. This will prevent you from accidentally overloading your boat with unnecessary gear and improve stability.
It’s important to know how much primary stability your kayak is capable of achieving based on its width. In order for a kayak to be stable, it has to be the right length, width, and overall weight.
The beam of a kayak is usually what makes it more stable as compared to a narrow kayak. Although a wide kayak will take longer to paddle than a narrow one, it will be more stable than a narrow one.
Stand-up kayaks should have at least 31 inches of width or more when shopping for one. Even if a kayak is long, most kayak anglers prefer one that is 32 or 36 inches wide.
7. Fishing-Specific Features
- Rod holders
Kayaks with fishing capabilities offer both flush-mounted rod holders and horizontal rod staging systems with rod tip protectors. Depending on what type of lures and rigs you’re using, you may need more than two rods when kayak fishing.
Choosing a kayak with a rod holder that can be customized will allow you to position and store your rods in the best way for you and your needs.
- Gear tracks
The gear tracks on a kayak are the most important accessory. A fishing trip requires items like fish finders, GPS units, cameras, and other accessories. You can use these to mount and position them.
Fishing kayaks that are priced high tend to have gear tracks running along the side, behind and in front of the seat, and in the center. The more gear tracks you have, the better your kayak will be at organizing your gear and maximizing your space.
- Gear Storage
In addition to tank wells and hatches, anglers can also store fishing gear in tackle box compartments. Gear should not interfere with your activities, yet you should also have easy access to certain gear items whenever necessary.
Make sure the kayak you’re considering offers ample dry storage space for any gear item that needs to be kept dry. The stability of an angler’s kayak isn’t compromised by too much weight in the front or back of the boat if they load their kayaks down with a lot of gear.
8. Wide, Open Deck
Having enough space to position your feet comfortably while fishing is also essential for standing up comfortably. You should prefer kayaks with a spacious deck rather than ones with a center console or a very limited amount of space for your feet.
You’ll have more room to move your feet and balance yourself if you have a wide, flat deck that is flat or padded when you’re standing up. In order to control your catch, you’ll need to have access to a spacious deck if you’re fighting a large fish. Kayaks with flip-up seats are an added bonus as they allow you to access more space if needed.
9. Stability of The Kayak
It is the stability of kayaks that makes them ideal for stand-up fishing. In addition to hull design and width, stability is influenced by several other factors.
Stability is best achieved with a flat hull design. There is less stability in kayaks because of their triangular or round hulls. If you need a kayak with a wide seat, you should choose one that is at least 30 inches wide.
It is in fact true that a wider deck will be more stable. There are two characteristics that make kayaks most stable: their flat hull design and their width, which is typically between 30 inches and 34 inches. Additionally, when it comes to stability, the kayak’s length is also important to consider.
It is more stable to paddle in a shorter kayak than one that is longer. Kayaks usually measure 12 feet and 6 inches in length. Kayaks with longer lengths may be less stable. In order to ensure maximum stability, length, width, and hull design of a kayak must be considered.
Here are some recommendations:
- Flat-hulled kayaks.
- The size should not be too long.
- The beam should be at least 30 inches wide.
Alternatively, you can choose the pontoon hull, which provides stability in both calm and stormy water. It is also expensive to buy these kayaks.
What Do You Need To Know About Stand-Up Kayak Fishing?
Regardless of how stable your kayak is, standing up in it will always put you at greater risk. In case of a tip-over, there are certain things you need to do to make sure that you are protected from risk and that your gear is preserved.
It is common for kayak anglers to lose expensive gear and kayaks when they tip over, so you should take these points into consideration before getting on the water.
- Gear Up With a Lash
It is generally a good idea for kayak anglers to secure any loose objects on their boats, especially for beginners. When you fall over, you might lose a lot of expensive gear in an instant if you fail to do this. It’s another lesson you don’t need to learn the hard way.
You can lash your gear to the deck of most stand-up fishing kayaks with bungee cords. When everything is tightly fastened on your kayak, it will be more stable than if the items were loosely arranged.
- Make Sure You Wear Your PFD
You should always wear a personal floatation device (PFD) or lifejacket regardless of your experience level, ability to swim, or kayak stability. There is a possibility of your fishing kayak tipping over, and it is important that you know what to do.
The majority of fishing kayaks are designed to resist being tipped over, however, it does happen occasionally, so you must be prepared to deal with it. Wear your PFD when on water because you’ll be much more likely to drown if you remove it.
Anglers often removed old lifejackets while fishing since they were big and bulky, making their movements more restricted. With modern PFDs, you can wear them comfortably while fishing since they are lighter and less restrictive.
- Become More Balanced
When you’re on the water, it’s beneficial to work on your balance as much as possible. Anglers who spend most of their time standing should definitely consider using them if they spend that much time standing up.
Stand assist straps may be included in some kayaks, allowing anglers to maintain their balance while standing up or sitting down. In slightly unstable water, these tools can be very useful when repositioning anglers on the kayak deck.
Premium kayaks often have traction pads or standing platforms on the deck. They are made from materials that provide a higher level of comfort, but their main function is to improve the grip between a user’s feet and the deck.
If you prefer to be barefoot in your kayak and want to prevent slipping and losing your balance, a standing pad will help you gain traction.
- Make Sure Your Deck Is Clutter-Free
A clean and dusted kayak fishing deck is responsible for a variety of reasons. The more free space you have on your deck, the easier it will be to get around if you ever need to.
The more space you have for someone’s feet, the more stable you’ll be when standing, whether you’re fighting a damn difficult fish or entering rough, instability waters.
Trying to keep your deck clutter-free also reduces the likelihood of any miscellaneous items being knocked off of the deck and lost forever in the water.
What Is The Purpose Of Standing In a Kayak? Stand-Up Kayaks Have Many Advantages for Anglers
You can enjoy some serious advantages in your kayak by standing up rather than sitting all day. The steps to stand up during a kayak trip can be very challenging for people using sit-inside kayaks or sit-on-top kayaks that aren’t very stable.
You can maximize your efforts and be a more successful angler if you have a kayak you can stand up in. Here are some reasons why standing up gives you an advantage when fishing.
- Greater Range of Motion
Having a wide, sweeping motion is essential for casting a fishing rod. Anglers can hang lures from the tip of their rod for about 2 or 3 feet, depending on the type and weight of lures they use.
You will often have your lure touch the water when you’re seated when casting. It also presents the risk of losing your hook on something behind you, thus severely limiting the distance and accuracy of your casts. By standing up while casting, you will be able to cast your rod properly and with a lot more room.
- Better Visibility
Fishing from a standing position allows anglers to have better visibility on the water, which is the main reason for standing up. Standing up means that the water surface will not cause as much distortion as sitting down, allowing you to see much closer to the water.
The ability to see clearly into the water is one of the best advantages to anglers who sight fish for various species. When kayaking, standing up allows anglers to find fish swimming close to their boats.
By having a wider field of view, a boater can also see any obstacles in the water that may cause a line to get tangled. The kayak will also allow you to see anything that may come into contact with it while you’re on it, so it’s more advantageous than sitting.
Running into solid objects just beneath the surface of the water can easily damage your propeller or fins if you’re using a pedal kayak or motorized propulsion.
- Longer, More Accurate Casts
Casting your rod correctly will enable you to cast much farther, as well as have greater accuracy since you will have the right range and motion.
For a long cast, you need to use a large amount of leverage, which means bringing the rod tip back over your shoulder as far as possible.
You can make a longer cast by bringing your rod down more and ‘loading up’ more kinetic energy in the tip of the rod by having an additional 3 to 4 feet between it and the water’s surface. During these long casts, you need good stability because your weight shifts from backward to forward as you put more power into them.
You are also able to perceive depth better when standing up. Casting accuracy is improved because the energy can be loaded up more effectively in each cast than if you were sitting down.
The level of accuracy you need to keep when fishing around structures like trees or docks is essential. An angler with experience knows that more accurate casting results in a lesser chance of snagging his hook on the cover and a higher chance of catching fish. It is almost always necessary to stand while casting in certain types of fishing, such as fly fishing.
- Ability to Stretch
Those who have spent a lot of time in kayaks know how quickly you can start feeling cramped after a couple of hours. If you plan to spend a day on the water, it is extremely beneficial to be able to stand up and stretch your legs and back.
The ability to stand up can increase circulation and reduce fatigue caused by prolonged sitting for extended periods of time. Be careful not to feel dizzy when you stand up. Kayaks shouldn’t be used for that kind of activity.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here below is the list of questions that most users asked about the stand-up kayak. I try my best to answer the basic queries but if you have any other question you can ask me in the comment section. Thank You!
Can you stand up in a fishing kayak?
Kayaks for fishing come in two different types. Sit in a kayak as well as sit on top kayak. Sit-in kayaks are better for fishing because you can fish while seated. You must, however, choose a seat on top kayak if you wish to fish standing up. Standing fishing is best done in a standup kayak.
What Color Kayak Is Best For Fishing?
In recent years, kayak fishing has become increasingly popular. A fishing kayak of any color is most likely to be the best choice for you. For newcomers, this may come as a surprise. Kayak fishing can be significantly affected by the color of your kayak.
If this is true, the question you might have is, which kayak color is best for fishing? There is no better fishing kayak than a yellow kayak. Kayaks in yellow colors are more visible from a distance than kayaks in other colors.
Can you stand on a fishing kayak?
If you are thinking of fishing, you probably picture yourself sitting in a comfortable seat and paddle boarding to catch fish. In most cases, however, you will prefer not to stand while fishing.
Hence, seat-on-top kayaks are available on the market. A stand-up kayak, on the other hand, would be ideal for fishermen who want to stand while they fish. Standing or sitting, you can fish as you wish in standup fishing kayaks with a seat.
How we chose the best standup fishing kayaks
1. The cost.
2. The sales process.
3. Its purpose.
5. Its performance.
7. Testing in real-life situations.
8. Interviews with designers and brands.
Wide and stable stand-up kayaks are the best for fishing. This guide reviews the kayaks you can trust out of the many that fall into this category. When used in the right place, these kayaks can meet your expectations and offer many benefits to anglers.
A stand-up tandem with a 10-foot width is currently the best one you can find. A stand-up, one-person kayak, on the other hand, is available in a variety of styles.
Overall our top choice is BKC TK181 12.5′ Tandem in terms of functionality, durability, and performance. You will never be disappointed by investing in this product. It has large storage but also dual watertight storage hatches which make it the best one.
If you are looking for Large storage space then your second choice is Perception Outlaw 11.5. It does just not have large storage but also it offers three Solo Mount slots and a weight capacity of 425 pounds with a great performance on an affordable budget.
The Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 is the ideal 1-person standing kayak for those searching for an low-budget model.