The iPhone comes with some of the coolest, most convenient features, including wireless printing. Wireless printing allows you to print out pictures, webpages, emails, documents, and more without ever getting up from your desk or couch. Once your phone is configured and your printer is configured, all you need to do is tap a few times on the screen to start printing.
Apple products are known for their connectivity. The Mac computers integrate so seamlessly with iPhones and iPods that it doesn’t seem like you’re using two separate products. iPhone users can easily access contacts, music, photos, and files from their computers, as well as surf the Internet on the same Wi-Fi network that they use on their computers. As long as the printer supports AirPrint, you can also connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network printer for printing.
Printing from an iPhone is easy if your printer supports AirPrint – and most printers today support the technology. You’ll probably still be able to print remotely from a phone if your printer doesn’t support AirPrint but has Wi-Fi print capabilities. In this article, we show you how to add a printer to iPhone.
What is Airprint?
Previously, AirPrint was a feature that was rather unusual and mysterious, but it has become far more popular and widespread. AirPrint is an increasingly important feature on new wireless printers, as it is now on the majority of them.
Apple’s devices use AirPrint to print wirelessly using a wireless protocol. Most printers require drivers for them to be installed on a computer, but the AirPrint feature is like a universal driver that can be used by any iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to print without actually having to install the printer files.
How To Add a Printer To iPhone?
- Be sure your phone and printer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Your iPhone will open the file you want to print (picture, note), etc.
- Click the “Share” icon, which looks like a box with an arrow pointing upward.
- Go to the taskbar at the bottom of your screen and select “Print.”.
- You can select any AirPrint-enabled printer near you by tapping “Select Printer”.
- If you would like to change the color of the settings ( black and white) & double-sided or single-sided, tap “Options.”
- Click “Print.”
When in range, you will now be able to print from the AirPrint compatible printer by adding it to your list of preferred devices.
Without AirPrint, how can I print from my iPhone?
As these steps are specific to each printer brand, there are a few generic details in this procedure. To connect to the network created by your printer, you will need to download an app for your iPhone, enable Wi-Fi on your printer, then connect your iPhone to that network.
- Go to the App Store.
- Find your printer’s app. There aren’t going to be apps for all printers. Check the documentation for more information.
- The app can be downloaded and installed.
- The printer should broadcast its wireless network if Wi-Fi is enabled.
- Go to the Settings app on an iPhone.
- Select the Wi-Fi option.
- The printer will ask for a password if it is connected to Wi-Fi.
- To print a file, open it.
- Click the Share icon.
- Choose the Print option.
- Select a printer.
- Print by tapping.
Instead, you can open the printer app instead, browse through the iPhone’s files, and send them to the printer through the app.
If you cannot use an app or AirPrint for your printer, then perhaps a USB solution is your best option. Keep in mind that this will likely require additional equipment.
Using your iPhone to Print
Using an iOS device for the first time can be tricky if you are used to printing from a computer.
Despite offering many sharing options, your iPhone lumps printing into the same category as text messages or emails. Then, choose the Print menu from within the application or file which you wish to print.
- Launch the app or file.
- Click the Share icon.
- Select Print from the menu.
- Tap the Print button after selecting the printer and adjusting the other print settings.
Note: It is important that you have your wireless connection set up similarly to the printer that you wish to use for this print job.
In most cases, the files that you want to print from a default iPhone app will be printed with the “Share” option. Printing from other apps might require you to follow different steps, however. You would open Google Docs on your iPhone, tap the three dots at the top-right, select Share & export, and then tap Print.
How to View or Cancel a Print Job on an iPhone?
Print jobs are created and managed through the Print Center app on the iPhone. Usually, you will not be able to view or cancel a single-page print job that is just a single page.
However, if you are trying to print a document with a lot of pages, or if you are printing multiple copies of it, you might be able to modify it.
The App Switcher provides access to the Print Center. When you press the Home button twice on an older iPhone, the App Switcher will open. From the bottom of the home screen, swipe up or left to access new features on newer iPhone models.
To cancel a print job, you can tap the Cancel Printing button in the Print Center app. After selecting the Print Center app, you can either view the print job or cancel the print job.
Is it possible to print from your iPhone to a printer without a Wi-Fi network?
Yes, this is possible, but there will be additional steps to take and equipment needed. Wireless connectivity is the default method of connection for the iPhone, as it is a wireless device.
In the following section, we will discuss how to establish a wired connection between your iPhone and a printer using the USB port on the back of the printer and the Lightning port on the iPhone.
How to Use a USB Cable to Print from an iPhone with a non-AirPrint Printer?
You will need a solution to connect your iPhone directly to your printer if you own one that is not wireless. Connecting the printer directly to the iPhone requires a cable such as this one from Amazon.
- The USB cable should be connected to the port on the back of the printer.
- Your iPhone should have a Lightning connector on the other end of the cable.
- Internet connectivity on your iPhone must be confirmed.
- To print a file, open it.
- Click the Share icon.
- Choose a print option.
- Select the printer you want to use.
- Connect the printer to the USB port.
- Click the Print button.
Consider purchasing an AirPrint-compatible printer when looking for a new printer. This will enable you to print from your iPhone wirelessly. For instance, you might use a Canon printer from Amazon.
Some Frequently Asked Questions By Users
1. Is it possible to add an HP printer to iPhone?
Yes, this is possible, there are some HP printers that support ePrint, which means that you can print wirelessly from iPhone files by using AirPrint with your ePrint-capable HP printer.
- Ensure that iTunes and iPhone firmware are updated to the latest version.
- Your HP printer should be connected to your iPhone’s Internet connection.
- Seeing your iPhone photo library requires installing the HP iPrint app from the App Store.
- Tap the “Print” button when you’ve chosen the iPhone pictures you’d like to print, and now you’ll be able to see the HP printer listed as a printer for your iPhone.
2. How Can I Add a Lexmark Printer to iPhone?
If you want to print from your iPhone using a Lexmark printer, you need some additional applications. The steps for adding the Lexmark printer are as follows:
- Download the LexPrint app from the App Store.
- LexPrint will launch, and you can select the target photo from the photo library.
- Once you have selected the photos, tap “Use,” and then you will see a screen that shows you a preview of the photos: Settings > Printer. There will be a wrench icon that you can tap to ensure that the Lexmark Printer has been added.
You can open the LexPrint Listener app to locate the Lexmark Printer if it didn’t appear on your iPhone.
After reading this article, you will find it not difficult to add a printer to your iPhone. Please share this guide with your friends and family members if you feel this article solved your problem. Please let me know if you have any questions about how to add a printer to iPhone in the comments.