In just a few seconds, you can send documents, photos, clips, files, and other types of important messages via email. Yahoo, Gmail, and Outlook are some of the email service providers that offer this feature with a limit of 25MB at one time. There is no limit to the number of emails that you can send at once.
It is not a simple task to add an attachment to a mail that you have sent via iPhone, or perhaps we can call it the Mail app on your iOS device. However, there are alternative ways for adding attachments to iPhone Mail that can make adding them very easy.
With the introduction of iMessage on the iPhone 6, I believe it has become the most convenient way to send messages. However, to send long messages or to hold a formal conversation, you may also need to use email. You can even use emails as evidence to support your case if they are sent via email. It is not unusual that in the past, you would have used an app to send files from your iPhone when you wanted to include a file attachment in an email. In fact, since the release of the iPhone 9, users have been able to attach files to email messages from apps of storage providers such as iCloud, OneDrive, and Google Drive.
You have multiple options to take advantage of the email on your iPhone; for example, you can attach files directly to your email from your iPhone, or you can create an email to which you can attach files later.
I am exploring how to easily set up Gmail on your iPhone by using two of the most popular iPhone apps – the native Mail app that ships with your iPhone, and the third-party Gmail app that you can download to use Google’s popular email system. In this article, we show you how to add attachment to email on iPhone.
Attachments can now be added to iOS emails
The most widely used method for sharing files in the digital world has been emailed attachments over a long period of time.
When you send an email, you typically attach a digital file to it as part of the message body. The usual way for attaching files to an e-mail message is to enclose one or more of them. From this email, the recipient is then able to download the attached file and access it.
As a computer user, you can attach different types of files to emails, including scanned photos, digital prints, sound or voice files, video clips, database tables, and other kinds of data. All of these files must be readable by the computer. An electronic message can contain both computer files as well as computer programs.
It is a great advantage that you can attach a picture, a video, scanned documents, and other files to an email that is preinstalled on iOS devices.
Here is a quick guide for you to help you figure out how to add an attachment to your email in the iPhone’s Mail app. I have attempted to make it as simple as possible for you. If you are using an iOS device, here is what you need to do to attach documents to emails.
How to add attachment to email on iPhone in the Mail app
Apple nudges us to be more productive with each update of iOS, and with every iOS update, one more way is added to help us accomplish this.
The latest version of the app adds a format bar, a convenient feature that allows attaching files to e-mails with ease.
To do this, follow these steps:
- On your iPhone, access the “Mail” app by tapping the “Mail” button.
- You can compose a new email by clicking on the pen and square icon in the bottom right corner of the window.
- There is a grey bar that appears when your cursor is over a field in the body of an email, much like when you are texting someone. Next to the words and phrases that are suggested for you to use in your email, you will see a backward arrow sign located on the far right. Click it.
- In case you want to attach anything to an email, double-tapping the arrow will give you a variety of attachment options, including photos, documents, even an option to attach pictures.
How to attach a file to an email on iPhone with the Gmail app?
- If you do not already have the Gmail app for your Mac, you can download it from the App Store.
- Open the Gmail application. From the Gmail application, choose the “+” icon to create an email.
- If you tap the paper clip icon in the upper right corner, you will initiate the process of attaching the file.
- There are several options that appear on your screen to help you find and grab one of the files from your Camera Roll, Recent Attachments, or Google Drive easily.
Images and Videos can be Attached to the Email
Despite the fact that there are no obvious buttons for attaching photos and videos to emails within the Mail app, users can nevertheless do so. It is important to understand that this procedure only applies to photos and videos. In case you wish to attach other file types, please follow the instructions below. However, if you want to attach a video or photo only, you can take the following steps:
- Depending on if it is an email you’re replying to or forwarded, or if it is a new email, you’ll need to open the email to which you want to attach the image or video.
- If you want to attach a file, tap and hold the location where you want it to appear in the text body of the message.
- You can insert either a photo or a video into the Copy/Paste menu by tapping the arrow on the right side.
- To preview a photo that has been selected in the Photos app, tap the image to preview it. You can then choose that photo to view.
- I’ve attached the image along with the message, not as an attachment, but as an inline image.
Tip: Discover what to do when your iPhone email doesn’t work to fix the problem if you’re unable to send and receive email.
How can I attach a photo to an email with the Photos app?
Using the Photos app, on your iPhone, is the quickest way for you to send a snap via email. However, you can still follow the iPhone method below if you would like to attach an image to an email instead of on an iPad.
- The first thing you need to do is open the Photos app on your mobile device and find the picture that you want to email.
- Using the Share button (that looks like a box with an upward arrow) you can share your work with others.
- It is as easy as clicking the Mail icon and a new mail message will be created with the image attached in the body text.
- Then you should enter the email address you wish to forward it to, type your message, and press the SEND button.
How do I attach photos from my iPhone using the Mail app?
- The first thing you need to do in Mail is open a new message and begin writing.
- In the body of your email, position your cursor where you want the image to appear.
- If the menu doesn’t appear, click the screen again and hold.
- You can insert photos or videos from the right-hand side of the menu by tapping the arrow to the right.
- You can add an image to your email body by selecting Insert Photo or Video.
- In addition, you may choose to insert the photo as an attachment by choosing Insert Attachment. From your Camera Roll, select an album from which you wish to attach a photo.
- Click on the photograph you wish to attach, then select Choose from the menu.
- Depending on whether you have selected a body text or an attachment method for uploading your picture, it will either directly be inserted into your email or as an attachment.
- Once you have finished writing your message, click on the Send button.
Have trouble attaching a file to the email
In order to get your email attachments to work, you have to rule out the fact that there are a lot of factors that you have to rule out.
There are a number of common connections problems including slow, intermittent or incompatible internet connections, server issues, corrupt or incompatible files, as well as software problems. It is also important to check whether the attachment is actually of the correct size. Possibly, the attachment to the email is too large and therefore cannot be attached to the email in a regular manner. Depending on what you have access to, you might need to shrink the file or use a Cloud storage service.
Some Frequently Asked Questions by Users
1. How do I use the attachment icon on my iPhone?
Nevertheless, even though the iPhone’s stock Mail app doesn’t have an attachment button, other apps, such as Notes, Photos, and apps from the iWorks suite, allow users to attach files to emails simply by clicking the “Action” icon, which looks like a rectangle with a curved arrow rising from the bottom of it.
2. How can I add an attachment to an email reply sent on my iPhone?
On the iPhone, you can attach files to an e-mail
- When you tap in the email with the document you would like to insert, you will also notice a format bar to the left of the keyboard.
- The document will appear in Files after tapping above the keyboard.
- Insert the document into your email by tapping it.
3. Why do I not receive pictures as attachments on my iPhone?
The latest iOS patch from Apple disables the sharing of pictures as attachments on iOS devices running 14.2. Users can now choose to embed their attached image into the body of the email instead of attaching it separately. All of the pictures will be made available in the form of a zip file, which can be downloaded by the recipient.
The bottom line
Now that you know how to add attachment to email on iPhone, I hope you can use it. It would be greatly appreciated if you would please share this article with your friends and family members, and if you have any difficulties using this guide, please feel free to let us know in the comments section below.