If you see a cool animated GIF on the Web and would like to save it for later viewing, you can save it on your iPhone. The iPhone makes saving animated GIFs extremely simple.
Whether you are browsing the Internet or chatting with a friend, you may have come across the GIF image type. It has permeated virtually every aspect of life including email, instant messages, social media, and even business communication software such as Slack. Your iPhone might occasionally need to be saved with interesting GIFs. This way, you can view the image at a later time, and perhaps a group of friends can laugh at it too.
When you are doing it for the first time, you may find it a bit intimidating if you have never saved an animated GIF image before. Since these images are neither still images nor videos, it is natural for you to do so. There is a difference between them and regular files, so you can’t use the same methods to save them.
How to save gifs on iPhone, share them on social media, or text it to someone using a messaging app is explained in this article. GIFs are a kind of animated graphic that usually runs on a continuous loop and are among the most widely used image formats.
What is a GIF?
GIF images are what you need to learn about if you want to know how to add one to your iPhone. Even after decades of discussions, we still don’t know what it is or how it operates.
GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format. A GIF file can be stored in a variety of formats. It won’t surprise you that GIF files are among the types of image files that are stored on your computer, along with JPG, PNG, and the like. GIFs are so small that they can even be converted from other formats without losing quality.
An animated GIF image differs from other images in that it is animated. Compared to still images such as JPGs and PNGs, animated GIFs are like short video clips.
You will need to do the following in the next part of this tutorial, which is a completely different matter and will show you how to save photos to your iPhone.
How to Save GIFs on iPhone?
Downloading GIFs to your iPhone:
- The GIF you want to save or share can be found or opened here.
- The menu will appear when you tap and hold the image.
- The GIF will be added to your Photos library when you select Add to Photos. Save images (in older versions of iOS) or share the GIF. There are many other sharing options available too.
How do I save GIFs on my iPhone 11 or later?
Following these steps will allow you to save a GIF on your iPhone running iOS 11 or later. Using this section, you can view your GIFs without using third-party programs. Since iOS 11, you can view animated GIFs in the Photos app’s new album type.
- You can download GIFs from websites using the Safari browser on your iPhone. You can choose any website you want.
- When you tap and hold the image, you will see a new menu appear on your screen. You can download a GIF from the website by tapping and holding it. You can save the GIF to your iPhone by clicking on Save Image in the newly opened menu.
- You will not receive any prompts or even a confirmation that your image is being saved to your device, but it will be saved in fact.
- Go to your springboard on an iPhone and open the Photos app.
- You can access your albums in the app by scrolling down and tapping Albums. Select Animated from the options below. Scroll down to view your animated album.
- You should now be able to see your GIF. It will play when you tap it.
GIF images can be played and downloaded on iPhones running iOS 11 or later without requiring any additional software or apps.
How to Save GIFs on iPhone 10 or Earlier?
It is still possible to play and save GIFs even if your iPhone does not have iOS 10 or if your device does not support it. It is possible to save GIFs for offline viewing on iPhones running iOS 10 or earlier, and the following explains how to do it.
- Navigate to your favorite GIF site using the Safari browser on your iPhone.
- Please ensure that you open the entire GIF before downloading it to your iPhone. Choose Save Image when a pop-up menu appears. Your device will be able to save the image.
- Make sure the GIF is saved in your device’s Photos app. Due to the lack of support in the app, it cannot be played. The GIFs you have saved can be played only with an app that you have to download.
- Install the Google Photos app on your iPhone from the App Store.
- Your downloaded GIFs can be viewed and played back in the Google Photos app.
What to do if you can’t find GIFs on your iPhone?
GIFs can be downloaded to your iPhone or iPad from many websites online.
- Google Image Search can be used to find GIFs by selecting the GIF parameter from the search parameters.
- Check out websites like GIPHY and Gfycat.
- You can search through hundreds of GIFs on your iPhone with the red magnifying glass in the Messages app.
Here’s how you can download GIFs to your iPhone
You can save GIFs on your iPhone in two ways, both of which are simple. You may find it difficult to find a way to use all the GIFs you’ve saved. We’ve compiled some tips on how to save GIFs to your iPhone from Mail, Messages, and Safari.
1. GIFs be saved from Mail and Messages
A friend sent you a great GIF via Messages or Email? You can save it to your Camera Roll so you can use it over and over again. Follow these steps:
- Please open the message or email that contains the GIF you wish to download.
- Click on the GIF.
- Share the page by tapping the share icon at the top right. An arrow appears in a box.
- The GIF will appear in your Camera Roll after you tap Save Image.
2. Download GIFs in Safari on my iPhone
On the web, if you come across a fantastic GIF you’ve never seen before, you can save it to your iPhone. You can download GIFs to your iPhone from Safari. Follow these steps.
- Safari can help you find the perfect GIF.
- Hold your finger over the image.
- You will see a pop-up menu.
- Click Add to Photos.
How to convert live photos into GIFs?
Your iPhone has the cool feature of converting your saved Live Photos into animated GIFs. GIFs can then be shared with people whose devices do not support Live Photos.
A GIF can be created from Live Photos on an iPhone without an app.
- Navigate to the Live Photos album in the Photos app. You should find all of your Live Photos there.
- GIFs can be created by selecting a photo. The top of the screen will show a few options once you have done that. Select whichever you prefer.
- You will receive a GIF version of your Live Photo in a new album called Animated in the Photos app.
With the variety of methods available, saving GIFs on an iPhone isn’t hard. Their wide acceptance and ability to be viewed on most devices make them easy to share. We hope you find this guide useful when it comes to downloading and saving GIF files to your iPhone.