When you are using the Messages app on the iPhone or iPad to send and receive audio messages, you might be interested in automatically storing those audio messages, but this has to be done by hand. It is true that the stock Messages app on your iPhone or iPad does not automatically save the audio messages it receives on the device, but there is a simple trick you can use to save the audio messages.
There is a significant amount of popularity among Apple users among the Messages app, which offers a convenient way to send text messages, attachments, Animojis, and other types of messages between any of the Apple devices, including iPhones, iPads, and Macs. You may be interested in saving audio messages that you receive from your friends and family to your device and storing them according to their content, just the same way you would organize your other media.
Aside from text messages, emojis, and photos, iMessage provides the advantage that sound messages can be sent along with them.
Apple, however, does not provide an option to retrieve these audio messages again once they have listened to the very first time – by default, the audio message is deleted from your phone once it has been listened to.
The good news is that they can be preserved for a long period of time. Let me show you how to save voice messages on iPhone.
How to save voice messages on iPhone?
As soon as you receive and play an audio iMessage, the countdown begins from two minutes. Upon expiration of the timer, the audio clip is involuntarily erased without prior notice.
The message can be saved by tapping “Keep” under it after listening to it. Keep in mind that the message will always be available to playback in Messages if you keep it.
How Do I Save Voice Messages on iPhone Automatically?
Our purpose here is to guide you through the necessary steps to keep audio messages from being automatically deleted, as well as to save them permanently on your iOS device. I’ll show you how it works now.
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you need to head over to the Settings app. Click on the “Messages” link in the Settings menu at the bottom.
You will find “Expire” at the bottom of the page under Audio Messages, so scroll down and select it.
The expiration time is set to 2 minutes by default, so you will notice that it will expire after two minutes. To prevent that from happening, change the time to “Never” as shown in the screenshot below.
With this setting, Apple’s iPhone and iPad won’t delete audio messages automatically, but rather, they will allow them to remain within the Messages app and to be interpreted correctly as they should be.
Wouldn’t it be good to be able to save audio messages as a file to use later or refer back to them? It is possible to do so.
How Do I Manually Save Voice Messages on iPhone?
iOS 12 does not allow users to export voice messages to the Voice Memos app, where the message can be shared and emailed. As of iOS 12, however, this feature is no longer available.
The most effective way to save an audio message through iMessage is to transfer it to your computer first and then save the message. Here are the steps to follow.
It is possible to save audio messages that you receive
In order to transfer voice messages to your Mac computer, you will need to have a Mac computer. The files will be saved to your hard drive once transferred.
- To get your iMessages to appear on both your Mac and iPhone, log in to your iCloud account first.
- If you open the messages application on your Mac, you will find the voice message you are going to save in the conversation that you are going to view.
- Right-click on the voice message and you will be able to hear it. You just hover your mouse over “Services” in the right-click menu that opens, and then you must select “Show in Finder.”
- A folder called Transfers will be created and the voice message file will be added to it. Click in the file you want to save, and then drag it to a folder on your desktop, documents, or whatever you wish.
There will either be an audio file in .caf, or an audio file in .amr format, which can be played by default in your Mac’s Audio Player, along with several other all-purpose media players, such as VLC.
In the same way, you can also save a voice message you have made and sent. You may be interested to know that there is a much simpler method for exporting and saving your own voice messages.
If you send audio messages, you can save them
- The messages app on your iPhone has an option to record an audio message. If you want to do so, open the conversation in which the audio message is contained.
- The audio message will open a menu once you have pressed down on it until it pops up. Click “More” on the menu that appears.
- Click on the arrow icon on the lower-right of the screen.
- By clicking on this button, a new page will be displayed, with the recipient column blank. Please enter your email address instead of your phone number.
- If you are using Wi-Fi or mobile data, you should ensure that you are connected to the Internet, then tap the “send” button (an upward-pointing arrow) to send the email.
- Watch your email for a message with the subject “No Subject” from the number you provided. You will receive an attachment containing the voice message.
Apple iOS 15: How to save specific voice messages?
A conversation will appear when you open Messages.
A message should be sent via audio. Following your audio message, you will immediately see the Keep button. The specific audio message will be kept in your phone for two minutes after you have tapped it.
We’re now going to take a look at the audio messages you see in your inbox. To play an audio message, tap the triangle button in the bottom left corner of the screen. When you play the game, the word Expires in 2 minutes will appear. Approximately 30 seconds after you have clicked ‘Save’, you will see an additional option – “Keep”. Simply tap this option to store the audio file.
The music will now continue to play for another two minutes, and after that, the audio message will no longer be deleted.
How to Save Voicemail Messages on the iPhone?
As a general rule, most of the Voicemail messages received on mobile devices consist of routine messages with a callback request, reminders to pick up a delivery, reminders to pick up at the library the books on hold, and similar messages that we receive on a daily basis.
There may be occasions, however, when you need to save or share a particular Voicemail Message.
There can be many reasons why you should do this. Some occasions may be sad such as the last message you receive from a friend or relative; others may be happy, for example when you learn of a job offer or receive a funny call from your child.
Regardless of the reason for the Voicemail Messages to be saved and shared, using the iPhone is a straightforward process.
On the iPhone, you can save voicemail messages as voice memos or notes
To save communications as voicemail messages on your iPhone using this method is to record them as Voice Memos or Notes.
- Tap the Voicemail tab in the bottom-left corner of the Phone App and open the application.
- Using the next screen, tap the Share icon to be able to save the Voicemail Message you want to save to your computer.
- If you are looking to save your notes or voice memos, select the Notes or Voice Memos option on the Share menu.
- You can choose to save the Voicemail Message that appears on the next screen by tapping on the Save option.
Tip: On an iPhone, how to save Instagram voice messages?
It is not possible to store voice messages and other audio files within the Instagram application, however, every iPhone comes with a built-in screen recorder that can be used to record both audio and visual content. I think we can convert these audio files to be sent to just about anywhere too, using this app and an app that converts audio.
- In order to open private messages on your Instagram account, first, open Instagram on your iPhone and tap the “Messages” icon near the top-right corner of your screen.
- Open the message you want to open by finding it in the list of messages and tapping it.
- To start recording video and audio of everything on your screen, slide your finger down from the upper-right corner of your screen and tap the “Record” icon to open Control Center.
- It is possible that you might need to add the circular Record icon to your Control Center if you don’t see it here.
- Simply slide your finger upward to close Control Center and return to Instagram by placing it near the bottom of the screen near the black line.
- The Instagram audio note can be recorded by pressing the play button.
After you have completed this step, drag the screen down from the upper-right corner of your phone to open the “Control Center” again. You can stop the recording by pressing the “Record” button one more time.
Locate your just recorded video in the “Photos” app.
To open the video file, tap the file you created.
Some Frequently Asked Questions by Users
1. On iPhone, where are voice messages stored?
Whenever you save an audio message, it is stored as a part of your iMessage conversation. The audio message has to be found by scrolling through the conversation.
2. What is the best way to save voice recordings from text messages?
Press and hold the recording button in iMessage if you wish to have the recording outside of the app (e.g. in mp3 format or whatever). The Voice Memos app will appear with a menu that includes Copy, Save, More, and choose Save, and now you will find your recording in the Voice Memos app.
3. Is it possible to save voice messages?
The ability to download, store, and share voicemails on many platforms – mobile, landline, and VoIP – lets you keep track of and share messages without worrying that they are just lost. The following are a few simple ideas that you can use to keep important voicemails on your iPhone, Android phone, desk phone, or VoIP phone system for future reference.
4. Is there a way for you to automatically save voice messages?
If you don’t want to keep all your messages by default, then you have another option: you can change a simple setting in Messages which will keep all your messages by default. You’ll find it in Settings, under Messages. Tap “Expire” next to Audio Messages and you’ll see how long it lasts. As a result, your audio messages will no longer expire.
5. Where can I save voice memos from Imessage on my iPhone?
Upon receiving the recording in your iMessages, you will have a few options available to you, including the option to copy, save, or all of the above. Once you have selected “Save” then the entire audio will be saved to the Voice Memos app as a voice memo. You may select the Share button on the Voice Memos app to be able to send it as an attachment to an email.
6. What is the best way to save the voice notes that you make?
On the bottom of the screen, you will see a microphone icon. To record a message, you may press the button and hold it while recording. As with iPhones, Android phones also come with their own voice recorder app by default. Go to your home screen and you will be able to find the Voice Recorder app that is built-in to your device.
It’s now your turn to learn how to save voice messages on iPhone. Therefore, please share this article with your friends and family members. Also, please inform me in the comment section below if you encounter any difficulties while following this guide.