This is true if you are updating an old iPhone or moving messages from your old iPhone to a new one after the old one got damaged. Multiple options are discussed in this guide for moving messages between iPhones. If you want to keep your iPhone messages safe and accessible elsewhere, you should make a backup.
“Your iPhone 7 Plus was recently replaced by a new iPhone 13, and you want to transfer all your data from it to it. The contact and photo transfers have been completed, but I am unable to transfer messages.”
I recently received a question regarding how to transfer messages from the new iPhone 13 to another. Data such as contacts or camera rolls can be transferred relatively easily, there are often difficulties with transferring messages. As a result, it is critical to ensure that messages pertaining to your personal or professional chats are kept secure as they may contain a considerable amount of personal information. In this post, I will discuss four easy, yet effective, methods of transferring messages between iPhone devices.
The purpose of this article is to show you how to transfer messages to new iPhone. We’ll show you three ways to transfer the messages!
How to Transfer Messages to New iPhone?
Sync your new iPhone with the latest iCloud backup if you have an old iPhone and want to sync your messages. You will need a few things to use this method.
- Your new iPhone should have enough storage space in iCloud. If you exceed the storage limit, then the messages won’t sync to your new iPhone.
- Always charge your old iPhone and make sure it’s connected to a stable and reliable Wi-Fi network.
Following these steps will enable you to transfer messages from an old iPhone to a new one via iCloud backup.
- Turn on your new iPhone.
- Follow the setup instructions. After you set up an iPhone, you must go to “Settings” > “General” > “Reset” > “Erase All Content and Settings” to reset your iPhone, which will allow you to set up your iPhone again and move to the Apps & Data screen.
- On the “Set up your iPhone” page, tap “Restore from iCloud Backup”.
- Choose the latest backup by entering your Apple ID and password.
- This backup will then start transferring data to your new iPhone, including text messages.
- On your new iPhone, you can see your old iPhone’s messages along with other files that have been backed up in iCloud, which means you have successfully migrated your messages between iPhones.
How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone using iCloud?
With the integration of iCloud, Apple is making backup and transferring data easier for iPhone users. A free 5GB of iCloud storage is available to every Apple ID user by default. More storage can be purchased if needed. Syncing your new phone with your old one’s iCloud or taking a backup first is the best way to restore your data later.
Follow these steps to learn how to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone via iCloud:
- The messages can be backed up to iCloud if there is enough storage. Activate the iCloud Backup option in your phone’s iCloud settings. You can also choose the option to back up your messages from here.
- Users of iOS 11.4 and above can also synchronize their Messages with iCloud with the new feature. To enable Messages on iCloud on your iPhone if you run iOS 11.4 or a newer firmware version, go to Settings > Messages.
- If you click “Sync Now”, your messages will be immediately synced to iCloud. The new phone will also sync with your old iCloud account when you set it up later.
- You can restore your messages from an iCloud backup during the installation process if you have taken one. To retrieve your most recent iCloud backup, log in to your Apple ID account.
- In the setup process for a new iPhone, only iCloud backups are available for restoring data. Your iPhone will need to be factory reset before you can begin. Go to Settings > General > Reset and perform the operation.
- When setting up a new phone, you can restore an iCloud backup.
- Your phone data will be deleted during a restore from an iCloud backup.
- You cannot selectively transfer just your messages because the entire backup would be restored.
How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone using iTunes?
Using iTunes, users can transfer messages from iPhones to other iPhones just like they can through iCloud. Syncing your oldest iPhone to your new one requires first backing it up in iTunes. Even so, you should be aware that when the backup is overwritten, all the data on your iPhone will be overwritten. For the transfer to be seamless, both devices need to run the same iOS version. Follow these steps to learn how to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone using iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer after installing the latest version of iTunes. In iTunes, select the device you want to connect to.
- You can then select the “Backup Now” button in the Backups section of iTunes. Don’t back up your data to iCloud, but to “This Computer”.
- Connect your new iPhone to iTunes instead of your old phone once you have taken a backup. You will be prompted to perform the setup of your phone the first time you use it. It is possible to restore your phone from an iTunes backup right here.
- For those who are already using their phone, go to the phone’s summary page and select “Restore”. If there’s a backup that you’d like to restore, you’ll be able to select it from a pop-up window.
- All backups (except messages) will be restored
- Your existing data will be deleted when you purchase your new iPhone.
- Different iOS versions often cause compatibility issues for users
Can I Transfer Text Messages from a Mac or PC to my new iPhone?
Want to transfer messages from an old iPhone to a new one without backing up to iCloud? You can backup your data to a Mac or PC by using the old-fashioned method. Here’s how to do it:
Bonus Tip: Apple computers with macOS Catalina (11.5) and later are supported by these instructions. As for older versions, the procedure is similar, except iTunes is used instead of the Finder as the backup tool.
- Using your Mac or PC, connect your current iPhone.
- Launch Finder (for Mac) or iTunes (for PC). For PC users, skip stepping 5.
Note: iTunes will automatically back up your iPhone once it’s connected to your PC and iTunes.
- Make sure the Locations section of the left-hand sidebar is expanded. Select your iPhone.
- Click the Back Up Now button on the iPhone management screen.
- After the backup has been completed, set up your new iPhone. You can choose Restore from backup when prompted. Then you must select the backup from the computer where you backed up your iPhone. Messages from the old iPhone will be transferred to the new iPhone along with all backed-up data.
Here’s our guide on how to transfer text messages from iPhone to iPhone. We hope you’ve moved your iPhone messages to a new iPhone by reading this post. As you can see, iTunes and iCloud both damage your target iPhone, which makes setting up a new iOS device more convenient for people who do not have iTunes installed. You should use this guide if you have set up your device and you have some data on it. Feel free to tell me in the comment section below if you have any problems with how to transfer messages to the new iPhone.