People who are busy can use voicemails as a good support system. There are those who prefer missed calls over recorded messages, though. This handy guide will show you how to turn voicemail off on iPhones. Unless you contact your mobile service provider, it is generally impossible to turn off your voicemail.
As such, your voicemail is linked to your account, not to your iPhone. If you want a more temporary change, you may be able to disable your voicemail using a special code that can be accessed via the phone app. While it isn’t very common, it might be useful for some. In this article, we will provide you with a complete information on “How to turn off voicemail on an iPhone?”
How To Turn Off Voicemail On iPhone?
Method 1:On an iPhone, turn off the voicemail password
In case you are no longer interested in using the service, you may turn off the voicemail password on your iPhone.
Step 1. Contact your voice mailbox by dialing the number on the voice mailbox. You will need to enter your voicemail password by pressing the number one key on the keyboard.
Step 2. Whenever you get a new message, you can click the * key to jump to the Main Menu.
Step 3. On the main menu, you will find the following options: click on 4 to set up a password, click on 2 to set up administrative options, click on 1 to set up a password, and click on 2 to turn it on or off.
Method 2: Disable voicemail on iPhone using MMI code
Known as MMI codes or Man-Machine-Interface codes, MMI codes are the code used by mobile service providers to connect to your mobile phone system. The method that follows is a very easy and quick method for disabling the conditional call forwarding setting and the voicemail setting of your phone.
The number of your mailbox can be found here
1. Click on the Keypad tab in the Phone app.
2. You can dial *#61# by typing *#61# into your cell phone.
3. Tap Dismiss when you have written down the mailbox number.
Activate call forwarding
1. Call forwarding can be found under Settings > Phone.
2. Enable call forwarding.
3. You can type the mailbox number by tapping Forward To *.
4. To save changes, close the menu.
Deactivate the iPhone voicemail
1. Re-open the Keypad tab in the Phone app.
2. Dial ##004# and enter the code.
3. If you deactivate all voicemail features, you’ll see a confirmation message.
4. Tap Dismiss to exit the page. You can exit the page by tapping Dismiss.
5. If your voicemail is deactivated, you may need to put your phone into Airplane Mode.
6. It should be noted that not all service providers comply with these global MMI standards. Therefore, it may not work for everyone, but the next step would.
Method 3: Sending calls to another number
1. Go to your iPhone’s settings. You can find it under the gray gear icon on your home screen. Your incoming calls can be forwarded to another phone number if you don’t intend to use your phone for a while or you are traveling somewhere without good mobile coverage.
- Having your incoming calls forwarded to another number prevents your iPhone from ringing when people call you.
- Google Voice offers free phone numbers for people living in the United States who don’t have another number for their calls. You can get a Google Voice number by reading How to Get a Google Voice Number.
- Your plan and provider must support call forwarding.
2. To access the phone, scroll down and tap Phone. It can be found in the fifth group of settings.
3. To forward calls, tap the forwarding button. The forwarding button is near the bottom of the “CALLS” section.
4. Switch “Call Forwarding” on. If the switch is green, Call Forwarding is ready to be set up.
5. Then, press the forward button. It’s the button beneath the toggle switch.
6. Enter the phone number you want to forward calls to. Be sure to include the area code (and if applicable, the country code).
7. Press the Back button. You can find it in the top-left corner. If you don’t see a “Save” button, this is what saves your changes. The number you specify will receive all incoming calls so long as call forwarding is enabled.
- Alternatively, go to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding and set the toggle to Off (white/gray).
Method 4: Get in touch with your phone carrier
By contacting your phone provider, you can disable voicemail on your iPhone. Using this method will remove all of your saved greetings, settings, and messages; therefore, only long-term solutions should be used. The following steps should be followed:
Step 1. Make sure you have the Phone app installed on your phone.
Step 2. Speak with the customer service department of your carrier. Several popular numbers are as follows:
- AT&T: 1-800-331-0500
- Sprint: 888-211-4727
- Verizon: 1-800-922-0204
- T-Mobile: 1-877-453-1304
Ask the agent to disable your voicemail once you’ve been connected and explain your reasons. Once they have access to your information, they will make the changes. Your voicemail will be switched off once they have accessed your information.